Tape Measures NOT used for Inspection or Testing

R

Ron-T

We have a semi-regular consultant who has helped with production and quality issues for approximately 3 years. Last visit, he noticed that we have several tape measure on the floor that are not numbered/labeled. I told him that they are not used for product validation, just for internal use for non-customer-specific instances. None of the actual auditors (TS16949) have ever brought it up, so I'm inclined to ignore this, but he suggested numbering all of them and labeling them 'reference only'. My main issue with this is that we will almost certainly miss one or two, leaving us open to an unnecessary finding. Anyone have a reason to follow or dismiss his advice?

Thanks

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Tape measures NOT used for testing

His advise is correct... you need to identify ALL of the instruments that you have in your shop and then determine if you need them to validate the status.

The reason is that if people follow your logic - anyone can use any tool at anytime to validate or approved a product without knowing the status of the tools or equipment they are using.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator

Are you a test laboratory? or a production facility building product?

dsanabria

I thought she was using TS16949 - which services the automotive industry... but I could be wrong!:notme:

R

Ron-T

We are a production facility. For the stages of production that do require testing, we have numbered, validated rulers.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
It's not a bad idea, but the real questions are:

1. Is it a specific TS 16949 requirement?
2. Have the non-labeled tapes caused a problem in the past?

Many people have their own ideas about what they think is a good practice. I have been in a lot of companies that marked every document that wasn't officially controlled "For Reference Only". It's not a bad idea, per se, but then the company has to have each document so labeled in their document control system.

Before you take anyone's advice, ask yourself - Is this really a good idea, or just one opinion out of many.

Eredhel

Quality Manager
I don't know if you can but I would see if you could put reference only stickers on all the tape measures and then point out traceability on the rulers.

R

Ron-T

Marc, I am leaning toward no TS requirement, as they are not used for specific testing. There has been no past problem or even note from official auditors, which is why I am inclined to disregard the consultant.

I think 'reference only' stickers would be a quick and easy compromise, but just don't see a need to number each and add them to the instrument list.

Thanks for all the advice folks.

dsanabria

Marc, I am leaning toward no TS requirement, as they are not used for specific testing. There has been no past problem or even note from official auditors, which is why I am inclined to disregard the consultant.

I think 'reference only' stickers would be a quick and easy compromise, but just don't see a need to number each and add them to the instrument list.

Thanks for all the advice folks.

I think you are heading the right way - try vibro peening the reference on top of the instrument - (permanent marking method) it stays forever and you don't have to worry about it.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
I do not know anything about TS16949 so if there is a requirement in that, I bow to the standard.

That being said, are the clocks labeled, how about the coffee maker (it can measure liquid volume)? Labeling devices just to put a label on them (to me) is a waste of manpower, and there never seems to be enough manpower.

Labels just to label reminds me of: (see attached Photo)

Attachments

• 21157strip.gif
    21157strip.gif
    35.3 KB · Views: 251
Top Bottom