Receiving Goods Inwards - Identification

A

auditorsos

Hi All

We currently have a flow chart for incoming goods inspection which details the process from start to finish.

The lady that looks after this process used to follow the flow chart, but it seems that she has has not being applying the inspection labels. The detail on the labels is basic - Item which is essentially a 'COTS' number, Qty received and initials and a 'Green' Sticker which states that it has been checked for basics...correct item, correct quantity.
Other items where required go through a 'Special Inspection'.

On a recent internal audit of one of our areas I found some goods that had come in that bear no labels whatsoever, it's only that the area use these on a regular basis that they knew what they were. So I wrote them up an NCR. When I spoke to the lady she said she no longer applies labels 'it's too time consuming'!

I have no support from management, they just say well it's not the end of the world, we're only a small company - but that is not the point! (Insert angry/frustrated face) :argue:

What should I do?

How do other manufacturing businesses treat incoming goods?
FYI we have no real lean system here we use basic excel spreadsheets and Reckon Quickbooks for Purchase Orders, so it is a very manual system.

Any advice would be appreciated. BTW the QM is away on Annual Leave

Last edited:

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Hi All

We currently have a flow chart for incoming goods inspection which details the process from start to finish.

The lady that looks after this process used to follow the flow chart, but it seems that she has has not being applying the inspection labels. The detail on the labels is basic - Item which is essentially a 'COTS' number, Qty received and initials and a 'Green' Sticker which states that it has been checked for basics...correct item, correct quantity.
Other items where required go through a 'Special Inspection'.

On a recent internal audit of one of our areas I found some goods that had come in that bear no labels whatsoever, it's only that the area use these on a regular basis that they knew what they were. So I wrote them up an NCR. When I spoke to the lady she said she no longer applies labels 'it's too time consuming'!

I have no support from management, they just say well it's not the end of the world, we're only a small company - but that is not the point! (Insert angry/frustrated face) :argue:

What should I do?

How do other manufacturing businesses treat incoming goods?
FYI we have no real lean system here we use basic excel spreadsheets and Reckon Quickbooks for Purchase Orders, so it is a very manual system.

Any advice would be appreciated. BTW the QM is away on Annual Leave

Why does management have you do internal audits if they don't want to take action on the results? :confused: It certainly seems that the NCR is justified just based on them not following their instructions. In addition, if there is a possibility of them using the wrong part/product due to lack of labeling, it could be a much bigger issue.

Is your company certified to ISO 9001 or another QMS standard? If so you can go to ISO 9001:2008 clause 7.5.3 which says "Where appropriate, the organization shall identify the product by suitable means throughout product realization. The organization shall identify the product status with respect to monitoring and measurement requirements throughout product realization."

Ninja

Looking for Reality
From my distant vantage point, you have two options:
Both result in correcting the situation, and both close out your NC effectively.

1. Do what it takes to have the current approved process requirement followed by all employees "following" that process.

2. Change the requirement to fit current practice.

If Mgmt says "it's not the end of the world, we're only a small company", then this is an indication that there is a documented requirement that Mgmt doesn't necessarily care about...it begs the question why it is a requirement anymore.

A. Verify with Mgmt that it is OK for ALL employees to skip this step from now on.
B. If not...no one can.
B2. If so, update the procedure accordingly, retrain, and close out your NC.

We tend to look for "management support" in a limited way...
I would take (but verify) that Mgmt DID support the QMS by changing a requirement to more closely fit what the company places value on.
If this is the case (make sure).... clean up the paperwork behind the policy change.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
LOL...good one.
Preaching to the choir: It is never OK to skip the step of following written instruction. The written instructions can be pointless though.

One of my tenets -
One should disagree from a position of obedience in order to create change.
Disagreement from a position of disobedience is not called "change", it is called "justification"...and rarely accomplishes much.

"I just wasted 2 hours complying" is a more effective tool than "It was a waste of time so I didn't do it".

In the case of the OP...I would look at both changing the system (if that's what mgmt actually wants) together with some form of discipline.
It could have been just a system change...

A

auditorsos

Thanks for your input. Quite the QM really doesn't want ISO9001, but we have to have it for the nature of the business, supply to, in the main military.

It is a lacks approach, and I find it really frustrating; in a conversation either you want me to audit the areas and do it correctly, or not do it at all.

The QM just responds with 'we look when I am back'! :mad: He doesn't allow me to think on my own two feet and address the issue - that's the issue with this company they are so set in their ways and do not like change!

Rant over, but will take on board your views, thank you.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
There is a way you want to be.
There is a way that it is.

The friction between these two is where both frustration and opportunity come from.

1. Take your moment of frustration for as long as you want.
2. When you're over it...plan your path from one to the other.
3. Then get others on board with your plan...or let them suggest modifications to your plan...or both.
4. Then get on with the progress.

Stopping in the zone of frustration helps no one...least of all, you.
You don't have to spend your career in that zone, and who would want to?
:2cents:

{Don't skip step 3, or you're right back in the frustration zone}

6 SIGMA

Everybody must follow procedure. If applying labels it too time consuming, she cannot just stop doing it. See if the labels offer value and enforce the procedure if they do.

At our location we have our suppliers place all necessary labels on the containers and, once they have been successfully through receiving inspection three times, we make them dock to stock.

Some may perceive this as a risk, but our suppliers are previously approved, know what is expected, proven to pass the review and receiving processes and are all ISO registered so they know what to do.

Top Bottom