Is Plant Wide ISO 9001 Training Required?

R

RWatfgs

I am a new Quality Assurance Manager and ISO coordinator, to be in accordance with 6.2.2, I was wondering if it is necessary to carry out plant wide ISO training. Thanks for your advice.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Plant wide ISO training?

I am a new Quality Assurance Manager and ISO coordinator, to be in accordance with 6.2.2, I was wondering if it is necessary to carry out plant wide ISO training. Thanks for your advice.

RWatfgs,

Training everyone in ISO (the standard) is of limited value.

Better to train your leaders in their management system so they in turn can explain to the employees how its use delivers quality assurance and continual improvement.

In doing this, the leaders are demonstrating their commitment and explaining the benefits to the employees, the company and its customers.

Of course, they'll also explain their policy and objectives and how to secure improvements.

John

AndyN

Moved On

As John said! Another way of looking at training is to ask yourself:

"What competencies do everyone on the plant floor need?" Would anyone include "ISO 9001"? Highly unlikely that anyone needs to be able to have the "demonstrated ability to apply skills and knowledge" of ISO 9001...

Now, management is another kettle of fish...

R

RWatfgs

I appreciate your input. I was told that it is a requirement in ISO that ISO training happen annually. I don't believe that to be the case, and your comments seem to justify that. Thanks

AndyN

Moved On

I appreciate your input. I was told that it is a requirement in ISO that ISO training happen annually. I don't believe that to be the case, and your comments seem to justify that. Thanks

In that case, give them a copy of ISO 9001 and ask them to point to the requirement which states it...

J0anne

Joanne

No, but company wide cGMP training and quality awareness is beneficial to any organisation.

Candi1024

Quite Involved in Discussions

We have always done plant wide training yearly. I don't see a requirement that calls for yearly, though its not a bad idea to refresh the learning.

Everyone in the company affects quality in one way or the other, so I don't see how you can get around it without at least describing what ISO is and how it affects everyone.

R

RWatfgs

I agree, just to make people aware of ISO, why we do it, why we do audits..

M

mguilbert

At our organization, we use a slide or two in our yearly training that also covers harassment, biosecurity, safety, to name a few.

HTH,
Matt

AndyN

Moved On

We have always done plant wide training yearly. I don't see a requirement that calls for yearly, though its not a bad idea to refresh the learning.

Everyone in the company affects quality in one way or the other, so I don't see how you can get around it without at least describing what ISO is and how it affects everyone.

You're correct - quality IS important. However, training in ISO isn't. Don't even mention it. ISO doesn't affect anyone, the QMS DOES however. Too many people use ISO as a kind of touch stone or (negative) motivator and, frankly, people go away confused as to what the thing is - or worse they see management wasting time/money on nothing.

Top Bottom