Process Flow Chart vs. Process Flow Diagram? Pages 38-39 in the APQP Manual

A

AirAusquin

Hello again. While studying the Control Plan form at pages 38-39 in the APQP book, the question arose.

Description for field 15 (Part/Process Number) mentions the Process Flow Chart
Description for field 16 (Process Name/Operation Description) mentions the Process Flow Diagram

It is this just a lack of homogeneity by the writers of the APQP book or there are really subtle differences that make a Process Flow Chart different than a Process Flow Diagram?

I am aware that process flow chart/diagram/description/whatever can have many variations/forms/styles/etc. Additionally, my language is Spanish so we end up with all kinds of translations for technical names in our industries.

Thanks again for your brilliant site!

Alejandro Irausquin
Venezuela

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Re: Process Flow Chart vs Process Flow Diagram???

Hello again. While studying the Control Plan form at pages 38-39 in the APQP book, the question arose.

Description for field 15 (Part/Process Number) mentions the Process Flow Chart
Description for field 16 (Process Name/Operation Description) mentions the Process Flow Diagram

It is this just a lack of homogeneity by the writers of the APQP book or there are really subtle differences that make a Process Flow Chart different than a Process Flow Diagram?

I am aware that process flow chart/diagram/description/whatever can have many variations/forms/styles/etc. Additionally, my language is Spanish so we end up with all kinds of translations for technical names in our industries.

Thanks again for your brilliant site!

Alejandro Irausquin
Venezuela

I use them interchangeably. I very seldom use the term "chart". It is called a Process Flow Diagram (PFD) in my documentation and both columns of the Control Plan are covered in the PFD.

The only difference I can think there might be is that the Process Flow Chart may not employ extra verbiage that might be included in a Process Flow Diagram (for instance: the Delphi format for the Process Flow Diagram includes columns that point out the product and process characteristics produced and monitored at each process step. However, it also includes the two columns you mention.)

Help any???

A

AirAusquin

Thanks Bill!
The basic difference you point out is what I had in mind.

I was not familiar with the Delphi PFD format. I searched the attachements list and didn't find an example. A google search didn't help neither. (I finally found it at the suppliers site)

Thanks again

Alejandro

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bill Ryan - 2007

You're welcome. If you find out something different, please come back and share the information.

Top Bottom