8.2.4 ... person(s) authorizing release of product - Who could this person be?

D

Don Palmer

Mark_QM said:
Our President frequently disregards our quality policies. In his own words, "It's all BS." to him. His motivation for implementing AS9100 is the $$$ he sees in the additional aerospace work he can pick up.

Soooooooooooo then, BS = $$$ (?), Is this president also OWNER of the company?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Mark_QM said:
The statement by Wes Bucey, "The issue is that President is overriding the policy he is responsible for." doesn't seem like it fits the situation at our company. Our President frequently disregards our quality policies. In his own words, "It's all BS." to him. His motivation for implementing AS9100 is the $$$ he sees in the additional aerospace work he can pick up.
It fits - when the subpoenas come flying, his name will be on them - he's responsible!

If we are talking AS9100, we are probably also talking FAA PMA for your company or your customer.

I want to alarm you!
We have written about consequences when the feds get involved.
What's the funniest thing you've ever seen during an audit?
especially post #15 (http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=112609&postcount=15http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?p=121916&highlight=titanium#post121916)
and
C of C Liability - Person who signs a certificate of conformance
especially post #9 (http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=121773&postcount=9)

For your personal safety, :ca: and get president to sign the suggested paper. Elsewhere throughout the Cove, we have threads discussing ethics and liability and protecting yourself and your family from fallout when stuff ultimately hits the fan. The upshot is that often hubris and ignorance are combined in the boss's personality. He may believe he is invulnerable and he sure doesn't care about you or his customer or the people who ultimately fly on the aircraft which may depend on your component for proper functioning. Oddly, it may not even be your component which brings down the aircraft, but when the accident and safety guys finish an investigation, the odds are good they'll discover examples where your company supplied material not meeting the certificate of conformance which accompanied the material. You may end up swimming in the same sort of soup as the guys from the titanium tube company discussed in the links shown. As a result of the investigation, the company closed and EVERYBODY got put out of work, guilty or complicit or not.

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
Speaking from my days in aerospace;

When I went to FAA DMIR school in Oaklahoma the first thing that was told to us was to "Put everything you own in your wife's name" what they meant by this was if you're the one signing off on 8130's/inspection reports then you're the person that will have to answer to the FAA if your part is found to be the cause of an aircraft accident.

Remember your signature are attached to these parts for the life of the aircraft.

I would talk to your internal DMIR (FAA Designated Manufacturing Inspection Representative) to see what they can do to help or if you don't have one then I would explain to your president section 4.13.1 and then ask him to sign off the parts.

As Wes stated earlier, always remember to "cover your backside" when you work for these types of companies.

Best of luck.

Al

Last edited:
M

Mark_QM

In response to Al Rosen,
No safety of flight issues have come about that I'm aware of. Parts do get returned from customer's. I've tracked the returns since I've been here (almost 3 years) and found that 4% of our shipments get returned. How does that compare with everyone else?

As far as what equipment our parts go into, for most of the parts we don't know what the intended application is. I don't really want to disclose all of the details, but the most critical parts we make are in military helicopters, aircraft fuel delivery assemblies, various space telescopes and unmanned space vehicles. We also make some parts that are used in submarines and various explosives in the military. In other industries, we make parts for the optical, medical (i.e. various blades, analyzers, and titanium parts for reconstruction of bones after an accident), automotive (i.e. fuel cells), and commercial industries (i.e. fruit juice manufacturer's, the stamping industry and various shims and washers for almost any industry).

We have over 300 different customers annually that give us repeat business. Our largest customer is only 3% of our annual sales revenue.

Our President is the sole owner. He is an emphatic guy, if a customer is unhappy with us he will sometimes tell them where to go. Since I've been here we've lost a couple of customers due to this. He's not very friendly with auditors either and has been known to ask them to leave.

Regarding Certificate of Conformances, I sign most of them and delegate to the Inspection Supervisor when I'm unavailable.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Mark

D

Don Palmer

Mark_QM said:
In response to Al Rosen,
No safety of flight issues have come about that I'm aware of. Parts do get returned from customer's. I've tracked the returns since I've been here (almost 3 years) and found that 4% of our shipments get returned. How does that compare with everyone else?

As far as what equipment our parts go into, for most of the parts we don't know what the intended application is. I don't really want to disclose all of the details, but the most critical parts we make are in military helicopters, aircraft fuel delivery assemblies, various space telescopes and unmanned space vehicles. We also make some parts that are used in submarines and various explosives in the military. In other industries, we make parts for the optical, medical (i.e. various blades, analyzers, and titanium parts for reconstruction of bones after an accident), automotive (i.e. fuel cells), and commercial industries (i.e. fruit juice manufacturer's, the stamping industry and various shims and washers for almost any industry).

We have over 300 different customers annually that give us repeat business. Our largest customer is only 3% of our annual sales revenue.

Our President is the sole owner. He is an emphatic guy, if a customer is unhappy with us he will sometimes tell them where to go. Since I've been here we've lost a couple of customers due to this. He's not very friendly with auditors either and has been known to ask them to leave.

Regarding Certificate of Conformances, I sign most of them and delegate to the Inspection Supervisor when I'm unavailable.

Mark

Sounds to me like this president/sole owner would not think twice about giving a noogie to a dutch uncle.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Mark_QM said:
In response to Al Rosen,

Mark
Based on your response, I think some of the boss's hubris has rubbed off and you don't care who might be affected when one of your titanium screws fail.

M

Mark_QM

Ouch, I'm just trying to learn and we are all trying to make improvents here.

F

fletch

I had a situation where the pres did sign off on some seals we made...and they were wrong...and the customer was BS!!! so when they called and I spoke with them about it I asked who's name was on the cert and shipping docs...and they told me...and I about lost my lunch! how could this person be so stupid as to release non conforming material when he wasn't even an inspector? needless to say the $5K worth of product he shipped at the end of the month....AFTER HOURS...AT THE CUSTOMERS REQUEST:mad: ...was not worth it!!! The HOURS of documents I had to fill out...the explanations:mad: ....how do you ream out the pres for being so dumb? His reply was the old form fit and function story...but it was wrong...and the customer wasn't going to stand for it....and they lost the account....and I left the company because I was sick of instances like that....and moved to much greener lands....:applause:

Top Bottom