Adobe Acrobat Problems

B

Bob_M

Adobe Acrobat Users (or other PDF makers) Please Read/Comment

OK have a "copy" of Acrobat 4.05 which pre-dates the offical release of Office2000 and Windows2000 (so they don't work perfectly together). I'm currently experimenting with it at work and home before attempting to budget the purchase of the current version (6?).

How easily are those using acrobat able to scan and retain paper records into pdf files? Version 4.05 and NT4.0 are not very quick or easy to use.

We probably will be upgrading work stations to Win2000 Pro and Acrobat 6 if things work out.

Other than making controlled docs into PDFs I want to be able to quickly and easily:

1)Scan paper records (ie inspection or finanical document)
2)Create PDF file per part, package or project
3)Attach mutliple documents/scans (each new records would be attached to the master record for an inspection file - one per part number).
4)and bookmark each document.

I KNOW acrobat can do all of that but how quick easy is it with the newest versions?

Any other tips or drawbacks from current users are also appreciated...

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Hi Bob,

I can tell you that with Office 97 and Acrobat 4.0 on a WIN98SE, they work pretty well together. In fact, conversion is just the click of a button.

Don't know much about the versions you are working with.

CarolX

Ghosts

Bob,
We use a program called Ghostview with Ghostscript in concert with a Windows installation of a printer that you will never use in reality. End result: printing anything to this printer via the windows print interface generates a PDF file. If you are interested, PM me with your email and I'll dig out all of the installation stuff.

J

Jimmy Olson

Bob,

I am currently running Windows 2000, Office 2000, and Acrobat 6 and everything works great. I'm able to convert pretty much anything to PDF. So as far as the quick and easy aspect, it definately meets that. I've only been using Acrobat 6 for a little bit and haven't noticed anything bad about it so far.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: Ghosts

Icy Mountain said:
Bob,
We use a program called Ghostview with Ghostscript in concert with a Windows installation of a printer that you will never use in reality. End result: printing anything to this printer via the windows print interface generates a PDF file. If you are interested, PM me with your email and I'll dig out all of the installation stuff.
Mac OSX has a 'print as PDF file' option built in every Print dialog box - it's part of the OS, so I can't help. Sorry.

B

Bob_M

Richard or anyone else using Acrobat6,
Can you import pictures directly from you scanner into acrobat?
This is the feature I'm most curious about.
I fully expect Acrobat6, Office2000, and Win2000 to functions properly with each other, but I'm not sure if Acrobat6 has an "acquire" function similar to most modern programs (assuming you have a scanner installed).

R

Randy Stewart

Bob,
We've been using this for a couple years now and have had no problems. You can take digital pictures to PDF, scanned pictures (gif, bmp) to PDF and scanned docs to PDF.
Along with the electronic signatures, it's a very easy way to control docs, especially if your BES uses software like Cognos for reports.
I would highly recommend it. The Acrobat Distiller (converter) will come up in your printer selection from the Windows File:print selection. So all you do is select it like you would a printer.
Attached is an example of a scanned item.

Attachments

• SWPatch.pdf
    12.3 KB · Views: 165
N

noboxwine

Richard Olson said:
Bob,

I am currently running Windows 2000, Office 2000, and Acrobat 6 and everything works great. I'm able to convert pretty much anything to PDF. So as far as the quick and easy aspect, it definately meets that. I've only been using Acrobat 6 for a little bit and haven't noticed anything bad about it so far.

Ditto. Works fast and very well ! Have a day ! :thedeal:

B

Bob_M

Randy Stewart said:
Bob,
We've been using this for a couple years now and have had no problems. You can take digital pictures to PDF, scanned pictures (gif, bmp) to PDF and scanned docs to PDF.
Along with the electronic signatures, it's a very easy way to control docs, especially if your BES uses software like Cognos for reports.
I would highly recommend it. The Acrobat Distiller (converter) will come up in your printer selection from the Windows File:print selection. So all you do is select it like you would a printer.
Attached is an example of a scanned item.

Thanks for the info.

I know you can easily convert an existing image that has already been saved to a file, BUT can you use ACROBAT to acquire an image directly from a scanner skipping the extra step of saving the scan to a (non-pdf) file first?

I am HOPING acrobat can acquire pictures DIRECTLY from a scanner and instantly convert them to a PDF. If it can't I could live with the extra step, but was hoping I wouldn't have to...

R

Randy Stewart

I don't see how it would work Bob. Do you want it to run the scanner? I don't have one attached to my computer so I can't try and don't see anything in the Help document. have you checked their web site?

Top Bottom