Anyone Dropping IATF and going back to ISO ?

M

Mrs Tucker

It isn't necessarily the only reason the decision was made it was just a contributor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
You do all realize that IATF is a subset of ISO, right? I mean, if you get the IATF cert, you HAVE the ISO cert as well. They aren't different things, IATF is an additional set of requirements for automotive ...
Not to dwell on a technicality, but, we have to remember that the IATF 16949 supplementation to ISO 9001 applies exclusively to the automotive product lines; an organization could produce non automotive products in the same plant and it would be up the organization to determine if the system covering the non-automotive product lines also needs to be ISO 9001 certified or not. In case the organization decides that they should have an ISO 9001 certificate, the CB would have to increase the scope of the audit accordingly and, if they know what they are doing, increase costs as well.

So, this idea that, if you have an IATF 16949 certificate, the organization is automatically certified for ISO 9001 might not be true, in case of additional product lines.

Last edited:
M

Mrs Tucker

Yes I realize IATF is a subset of ISO.
However, our registrar informed us that if a company chooses not to maintain the IATF certification requirements the company is required to start over and obtain a new " ISO only" certification.

M

Mrs Tucker

I worked at a place once that was AS9100 certified and when the Nadcap auditor came in they would not audit any parts that were not Aerospace customers. I guess this situation could be true with Automotive. I have always thought that an audit by a registrar should include any parts/processes at the facility.

Rameshwar25

Quite Involved in Discussions
Yes I realize IATF is a subset of ISO.
You do all realize that IATF is a subset of ISO, right? I mean, if you get the IATF cert, you HAVE the ISO cert as well. They aren't different things, IATF is an additional set of requirements for automotive ...
ITAF is never a subset of ISO. Both are different independent organisations.
If you writing in context of standards, IATF 16949 is a supplemental requirement to ISO 9001 for automotive industries.

Rameshwar25

Quite Involved in Discussions
Previous ISO/TS 16949 standards (all versions) contained ISO 9001 requirements, although separately marked in boxes. Then, we could say that ISO 9001 was subset of ISO/TS 16949 standard. Now, you need two standards in both your hands to get IATF 16949 certificate.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
IATF will only audit automotive products. For those of us that do both auto and non-auto that can make a big difference in how we proceed. We get much more bang for the buck under ISO. IATF is really a waste.

Top Bottom