Are power distribution units Multiple Socket Outlets (MSOs)?

odfrenette

Registered
Good day,

I am new here on the forum and in the world of IEC 60601!

We are currently designing a medical system which is a medical imaging scanner. The system is composed of the actual scanner, a power supply and a 19in rack with some non medical equipment such as network switches and a power distribution unit (PDU). The PDU has a 3 phase 120/208 VAC input and multiple standard 120VAC outlets to connect the network switches.

My question is whether a PDU should be regarded as a MSO (Multiple socket outlet). I believe the answer is yes. But according to 16.9.2.1 c), the MSO must comply with IEC 60884-1. My problem is I cannot find any PDU manufacturer that explicitly says it complies with this standard.

Has anyone had any experience with PDUs in a medical equipment/system?

Thank you!

Olivier

Peter Selvey

Leader
Super Moderator
Are the outlets integrated in your device? (e.g. buying an outlet with bare terminals as a electrical part which is then screwed in the wall of your device, terminals connected to internally to your wiring by solder/screw etc). If it is, then the it's best to follow the requirements in the standard.

If it's not, the standard has a mistake in attempting to apply new requirements in 16.9.2.1 c) to an already complete device that is placed on the market by another manufacturer. Legally and logistically this is not possible.

The MSO should comply with the normal legal requirements in the country of sale (or use), and the manufacturer of the MSO should be the one responsible for that. The medical device manufacturer should not modify the MSO in any significant way, just make sure that it is used within ratings/specifications.

The medical device manufacturer can still add labels, use isolation transformer or prevent access etc as mentioned in the standard in order to manage the special risks in a medical environment, such as cumulative earth leakage.

Top Bottom