AS9100. 7.1.3 Configuration Management. PCB production. ECN. Revision Control.

A

AlexanderS

Hello Experts,
I am working on AS9100 implementation and I need your constructive criticism. I would greatly appreciate if you find the time to read my post and comment on it.

We are small (40 people) contract manufacturer of Printed Circuit Boards, PCBs. No design/development work, no New Product Introduction. No Project Management for Product Realization, we operate under Standard Operating Procedures for each Order, because the process is standard each time from receiving customer requirements to shipping.

So, we have this requirement for 7.1.3 Configuration Management, CM.
To comply with CM requirement I have decided to write CM Procedure and implement the following activities:

a) Control of Changes to Product. Against each Quote/Order we already have Production Planning process where we review Customer Requirements and perform Revision control of our PCBs. Each unique batch of PCBs is associated with Customer Product Revision and can be tracked this way. Any change of the Product will result in changing the Revision.

b) Control of Changes to Quality Management System. Any change to QMS, be that production process change, or change to any QMS document, is processed via Engineering Change Notice, ECN. In the ECN we record what is changed, why, and which other documents within QMS are affected. Other QMS documents are Quality Manual, Standard Operating Procedures, Work Instructions, Control Plan and PFMEA.

c) Let everybody know. During ECN review we figure out if we need to let the Customer(s) know about this change. If yes, then we issue Notification Of Change and send it to Customer. On ECN we also state which departments within the company need to know about this change and distribute the document accordingly.

And that is all I can think of, and I am not sure it is sufficient. I don?t see any other sensible interpretation of CM in our case...

Please help,

Thank you,

Alexander.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Changes to your QMS don't need to be part of the configuration management process. The intent of CM is to plan, identify and control configuration as appropriate to the product.

Some points to consider for Planning:

Planning scope and objectives
Identification of significant documents and how they are related
The means used to accomplish it (we use IT as an example)

Some points to consider for Config Identification:

Evidence of the existence of the tree of product, spec and other configuration
Identification method of the product and documentation, and identification of the change.
Evidence of traceability
Communication method to know the config status of the product.

You can refer to a document like ISO 10007 for detailed guidance on how to do this.

In the simplest of terms, Configuration Management is revision level control to ensure that the configuration (totality of the specifications) of what you deliver matches the configuration of what your customer ordered.

One of the main things here is to ensure you used the correct revision level of the drawings to make the parts.

A

AlexanderS

I think I found application for Configuration Management in our company. We are in PCB manufacturing and after we receive ODB++(industry standard) files from Customer we take that data and generate several hard and soft tools to produce the actual board: copper layer files; drill files; router program files; legend files; Electrical Tester design files; solder mask film.
Configuration Management should take care of that configuration set up, so if the Customer decides to make a change and rev. the part, we know exactly which files to use and how to prevent any mixing in the future.

Does that sound right, dear Experts?

I think I found application for Configuration Management in our company. We are in PCB manufacturing and after we receive ODB++(industry standard) files from Customer we take that data and generate several hard and soft tools to produce the actual board: copper layer files; drill files; router program files; legend files; Electrical Tester design files; solder mask film.
Configuration Management should take care of that configuration set up, so if the Customer decides to make a change and rev. the part, we know exactly which files to use and how to prevent any mixing in the future.

Does that sound right, dear Experts?
That's the essence of it. The devil is in the details.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H AS9100 D - 8.1.2 Configuration Management for Build-to-Print Service Provider AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
G AS9100-8.1.2 Configuration Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
R Configuration Management in AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B AS9100 (FCA / PCA) of section 7.1.3 - Configuration Management - Audit question AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
K Configuration Management - AS9100 Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
D AS9100 Configuration Management Procedure example wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Configuration Management - AS9100 Rev B or C AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
S Is Configuration Management Mandatory? AS9100 Clause 7.1.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
C Compliance with AS9100 Configuration Management Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
K Configuration Management Basics - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
N Configuration Management Exemption? AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
S Configuration Management Simplified - Complying with AS9100 Clause 4.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
D Is anyone using a commercial Configuration Management Software for AS9100? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C AS9100 - 4.3 Configuration Management - Regulatory impositions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 26
J Configuration Manager's Duties - AS9110 or AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
A Configuration Audits - Writing a Configuration Managment Work Instruction - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Kevin Walters AS9100 and AS9120 AATT Course and Test AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B AS9100 Calibration Register AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Crusader ASQ AS9100 Lead Auditor Training Career and Occupation Discussions 27
9 AS9100 Friendly ERP Recommendations Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
dpenbert AS9100 7.5.3 - Manual Document Control AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
D AS9120 to AS9100 due to value added activities AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
P Can I exempt products/services from my AS9100 QMS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P AS9100 and CAMO - Continuing Airworthiness Management Organization AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
K AS9100 - Looking for advice on how to become a CB Auditor AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D AS9100 Rev D - Clause 8.7 Control of Non conforming outputs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
D AS9100 VS IATF 16949 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
W AS9100 Shelf Life Extension or Exemption AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
J Merging two AS9100 Companies: how to manage interim period AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L AS9100 Section 8.4.2 - External provider test reports AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
M Can we combine AS9100 and DO-254 certification? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
O Should a Covid vaccine and testing policy be included as part of ISO9001 or AS9100 risk management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A AS9100 - 7.1.5.2 In-House Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
M Transferring AS9100 to new Legal Entity AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
M Lapse in AS9100 Certificate AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D AS9100 News AS9100 Rev. E? Any news? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Software verification and validation AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Z AS9100 Control of Nonconforming Outputs - Rework Dispositions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
briteme4 ASL - AS9100 / Supplier Survey Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
Crusader AS9100 7.5.2 NOTE Approval methods identified AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
A Can a organization use a disclaimer "pending AS9100 Certification" in Marketing Information? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
R AS9100D internal audit checklist or ISO 9001 2015 to AS9100 D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
T AS9100 audit due to facility move AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
K AS9100 and ISO9001 together AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
M Do AS9100 Registrar Auditors have nonconformity quotas? General Auditing Discussions 45
L Heading dies as "tooling" and AS9100 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
L Heading dies as "tooling" and AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
F AS9100 - Validation, FAIR's, ITAR and Sub-Contracting AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L AS9100 - Product and Service Provision 8.5.1q AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T Temperature Requirements For In House Calibration - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16