AS9100C Document Control for Machine Set Up Work Instructions

M

Mr. Friend

Hi friends. We are attempting a transition from ISO 9001 to AS9100C and are preparing for an AS9100C stage 1 audit (to take place in July 2014). Our Engineering Manager issues work instructions to the machinists, instructing them on how to set up the machines for specific part numbers. These work instructions are signed and dated by this manager prior to issuing them to the floor. These instructions are then filed in the batch history at completion of the job. This is the extend of document control for these types of job-specific work instructions. These work instructions are basically notes on a napkin that are signed and dated by the guy in charge of engineering. Is this sufficient control per AS9100C? Will Auditors audit these types of work instructions?

I appreciate your assistance. :cfingers:

T

t.PoN

As long as the instructions are traced to the part number then i think u r ok.

just one quick question, do u re-make the same part again? if so, do u write a new instruction or recall old one?

M

Mr. Friend

Thank you for the response. The Work Instruction would be evaluated by the engineering manager at the completion of the production run and revised if necessary, with an up rev occurring to the work instruction for the next time. There is no control book with signature pages approving revision changes or anything. This manager merely archives the digital file of the previous revised work instruction. These work instructions do list the part number as well as part number revision.

T

t.PoN

so
document approval - no problem
document coding: the Work Instruction takes the same number as part number - no problem
document review: always review before production - no problem.
document distribution and prevention of misuse - only one controlled soft copy with engineering manager and mechanics have an uncontrolled copy or their copies is retained by the manager - no problem.

but the review history and identification of changes ..... hmm ....i think u r ok as long as everybody knows how to retrieve these documents.

do u need a master list, distribution list or something,.... i don't think its a requirement. as long as the document is retrieved from the same place and the obsolete documents are kept away.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SmallBizDave

Yeah, the only problem you might have is when a part is to be made from prior/revised work instructions. Everyone better have the same story on how to retrieve the correct documentation. If there is any doubt that all machinists can retrieve the right revision you might want to tighten this up a little. For example, archiving by part number would be good. Archiving by job number (which I've seen) would make it tough to go directly to the latest revision.

Top Bottom