AS9102 FAI (First Article Inspection) per standard or contract?

B

Boze63

Hello,
I'll get right to the point here, which can be viewed as a bit complex.

We have been doing FAIs & FAIRs for some time now. Because of several conflicting issues, we have released an internal procedure describing our FAI process using AS9100 & AS9102 as standards & references for requirements.
Our customers purchase product and these products have a Top Level DWG. Per our procedure, we perform a "Top-Level" FAI per the dwg which includes all characteristics (dimensions, applicable testing, id marking, etc). These products or Top Assemblies have sub-assemblies but these are not identified on the related dwg, but we do list the sub-assemblies on form #1. This is clearly layed-out in our procedure.

So here are my questions:
1) If one of our customers simply requires per contract that an "FAI per AS9102" be done, does our Top Level Assembly FAI hold up?
2) Does mentioning "FAI per AS9102" force an FAI for all sub-assemblies when the top dwg does not detail them?

Thanks in advance for any help. This site may become a great source in information.....

B

BadgerMan

If one of our customers simply requires per contract that an "FAI per AS9102" be done, does our Top Level Assembly FAI hold up?

In my opinion, no.

Does mentioning "FAI per AS9102" force an FAI for all sub-assemblies when the top dwg does not detail them?

In my opinion, yes. AS9102 requires FAI for all components and/or sub-assemblies as well. If you purchase the components or sub-assemblies, you can flow the FAI requirement down to your suppliers. If the components or sub-assemblies are "standard catalog hardware" (per the definition in AS9102) those items can be exempted from the FAI requirement.

B

Boze63

Thanks for the reply.

That's interesting.
The reason I say that is because I've read somewhere (don't remember where but it was on this topic...) that if a contract requires a FAIR to a part #, and that DWG reflects only the Top Level, that is the depth of where the FAI needs to go UNLESS by contract it needs to go further down.

Big Jim

Admin
Keep in mind that AS9100 suggests using AS9102 for guidance.

Also keep in mind that you always need to live up to customer requirements. You might try opening some dialog with your customer as to exactly what they expect for First Article Inspection.

B

BadgerMan

Thanks for the reply.

That's interesting.
The reason I say that is because I've read somewhere (don't remember where but it was on this topic...) that if a contract requires a FAIR to a part #, and that DWG reflects only the Top Level, that is the depth of where the FAI needs to go UNLESS by contract it needs to go further down.

If your customer requires compliance with AS9102, then the following applies.

From AS9102:

4. APPLICABILITY:
This Aerospace Standard applies to assemblies sub-assemblies, and detail parts including castings and forgings. This Standard applies to organizations that are responsible for producing the design characteristics of the product. The Organization shall flow down the requirements of this Standard to Suppliers who produce Design Characteristics.

This Standard does not apply to procured Standard Catalog Hardware or Deliverable Software.

B

Boze63

Well, that's pretty clear.
The only variation I can see, as suggested, is to establish with the customer if a Top Level satisfies their contract requirements.

Top Bottom