AS9102 Supplier Flow Down Method

bguarino

Starting to get Involved
Hi all. I work at a manufacturing company where we supply a MOTS (Modified Off the Shelf) assembly to one specific customer. This customer requires AS9102 FAIs from us and all suppliers we use. The AS9102 requirement was flowed down in their purchase order.

What are some (preferred) methods, or pro's and con's, for flowing down AS9102 FAIs to suppliers? The current internal debate is whether we add this to the drawing as a Note or on the POs we send out.

thanks!

Eredhel

Quality Manager
I'm a fan of using the same tool for the job, rather than a bunch of "if this then that". What are you all currently doing to flow down things that aren't dimensional, coatings, et cetera? I would prefer an AS9102 requirement to be PO not print, but that's how we do things. What do you all currently do?

bguarino

Starting to get Involved
Thanks for all the good feedback. How do you trigger the PO code/line item? Is it an automated process (driven by MRP) or manual?

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
The need for a given PO code to flow down to a supplier is established at contract review. If it is a part that we expect to buy many times and always with that code vs. a 1-off we will associate the required code(s) with the p/n within our MRP system so they auto-load every time it is bought. If the part is used for many different customers, each needing their own codes (requirements) flowed down depending on who it is for, we either (A) manually load the codes depending on who we buy it for or (B) apply the most stringent codes always (if practical) and auto-load them, so the part is good for any customer.

Steve Weber

Starting to get Involved
We are a machine shop (AS9100 Rev D) that manufactures products from customer blueprints, we have no design authority. When sending out a product for special processes like Passivation, we would list the process and any specific information related to the process but only what is specified on the drawing. We do add a caveat to all PO's that says "NOTE: Certification to include (our company's name) purchase order requirements as well as any specs that supersede these requirements. Noted specs to include any addendums that apply. To date we have not had any issues from customer audits or Surveillance Audits.

Top Bottom