ASQ apparently doesn't know ISO does not issue ISO 9001 certificates?

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
It's a bit of a sorry situation when the leading lights in a particular field don't get the basics right. A few years back I worked as a volunteer for the Chartered Quality Institute, chairing their Editorial Advisory Panel and reviewed a few technical articles before they were accepted. It was certainly interesting the number and type of errors we weeded out! :D

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
It's a "Lexis Nexis" article, Welcome to LexisNexis Legal & Professional not written by the ASQ, so it's unlikely they'd contact L-N to correct it. While I feel the same way about these kinds of errors, they are rampant even after 30 years of "ISO certification". There are a couple of howlers in the APICS "OMBOK" APICS OMBOK Framework 44 and these folks are supposed to be supply chain experts!
I'm with Andy on this. I've had lots of beefs with ASQ over the years, but not this time: they cited the source and copied the squib in its entirety and therefore did not require a [sic] after the erroneous sentence to indicate the erroneous material was not their creation, but merely verbatim copy of the original.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
On another note: the subject matter in the article reinforced what Akio Miura (the first non-American to earn and hold ALL ASQ certificates) continually ranted about the so-called "quality conscious" big Japanese manufacturers like Toyota and Nissan - that they were really very "slap dash" about quality and often conspired with government and press to hide the missteps and present Japan, Inc. as the perfect model of quality to the world. Sometimes, just sometimes, the cracks in that armor start to show. This is apparently one of those times.

Top Bottom