BMS Vs QMS (Business Management Vs Quality Management System)

A

arios

Re: BMS Vs QMS

Yesterday someone mentioned using BMS now in place of QMS. Is this becoming popular?
Thanks

Yes, it is being common to see companies with integrated Management Systems, e.g. QMS with an EMS, or even QMS intended for compliance with various industry standards as their products require.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
It is interesting to note this discussion comes up from time to time. While I also subscribe to the notion that the concept of a quality management system is typically misunderstood by most management types (at all levels), who can't make the connection between satisfied customer, high process yields and business results :)frust:) I don't agree that compliance with a standard such as ISO 9001 or AS9100 raises to the level of a "all inclusive", comprehensive business management system. There are so many business considerations that are totally outside of the scope of a QMS. Even ISO 9001 is a subset of a comprehensive QMS; just comparing 9001 and 9004 makes us realize that. If an organization needs to "believe" that they are dealing with a BMS implementation in order to have top management attention and support, that's fine. However, as we know very well, even an organization with a fully compliant ISO 9001 QMS might fail badly for many business reasons. What would we tell the business owners for their bankruptcy when they ask us how it is possible to go under when we continously pass our "BMS" audits with flying colors, time after time?

Last edited:
P

Phiobi

Is a BMS not a slightly different concept to a pure QMS?
I understand and push the fact that a QMS is for the entire business and stakeholders but my experience of BMS is more like an integrated system of quality, H&S, environmental, HR and the money guys.... I "thought" using the BMS approach was a method of having an integrated business system BUT that you could maintain the seperate aspects of it for compliance???

I thought it was win, win - You monitor all aspects of your business for effectivness but only specific aspects during compliance?

Have I missed something?

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi all,

I have always taught and pushed that a QMS should be a BMS we should strive to take the word quality out of the management system as the system is designed to improve the business if implemented correctly and supported by upper management.

I have recently been informed the last BMS\QMS I put into place won the Nunn-Perry Award from the Department of Defense. I was glad to see the President of the company comment that the award was as much mine as the company's due to the system put into place.

Best Regards,

al40

Top Bottom