Can a Attribute Study be considered a Visual Inspection?

R

RookieQuality

My co-worker decided to update our Gauge R&R procedure to include visual inspection criteria. "All visual inspection is classified as attribute gaging. To comply with this method, employees shall be required to pass a visual inspection quiz to ensure they are qualified to make pass/fail judgments. "

Is a visual inspection quiz considered an attribute study, if the quiz only contains 10 or so questions?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Well ‘study’ covers many situations...in this case your Customer requirements - if any - might matter, if they specify certain study designs,

A typical ‘attribute’ study would involve many parts that were good, bad and several at the ‘cutoff’ limit to truly challenge the inspector’s ability to discriminate between marginal parts. The inspection may also be performed at the expected speed during normal inspections. The study is also performed twice with the run order of parts randomized between the two tests.

10 seems really small and inadequate for a study that is truly insightful.

A bit of clarification may help: what are the ‘questions’?

R

RookieQuality

The questions are multiple choice. The questions consist of a picture of a noticeable defect and the operator has to choose the correct answer "defect description". I've informed my co-workers that these "quizzes" are competency test, not attribute studies. My goal is to remove the quizzes from our procedure. I don't think these quizzes meet an attribute criteria?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
ah OK.

you are correct that 'quizzes' do not meet the intent of an 'attribute gage' measurement system study. (or attribute gage R&R).

not sure that they are useless tho. quizzes are like calibration. they can be a good first screen...

Repeated readings of many good, marginal and bad pieces is a measurement repeatability and reproducibility study....

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
shouldn't the question be re-phrased; "can a visual inspection be construed to be or fulfill the requirements of an Attribute Study/Survey"?

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
The questionnaire can be used to test knowledge, but cannot be considered as an attribute MSA study. You can do a Kappa study.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
shouldn't the question be re-phrased; "can a visual inspection be construed to be or fulfill the requirements of an Attribute Study/Survey"?

The OP correctly phrased their question given his original and subsequent explanation of his situation. He/she could have more completely stated their question by reiterating that they were asking about the suitability of a quiz as a “Attribute Gage R&R Study for visual inspection”.

Your statement is off a bit. Visual inspection is a form of “Attribute gaging” and a attribute gage R&R (or attribute measurement system study) is used to determine the repeatability and reproducibility of the visual inspection process...in order to execute these studies the inspector does visually inspect good, marginal and bad parts at least twice.

Top Bottom