Can we calibrate a standard pin with a gauge?

B

biju-joseph

Friends,
can we calibrate a standard pin with a gauge? My thinking was we can calibrate a gauge with a standard but for calibration of standard we have to use more precise equipment .
Please advice
Thank you

Biju Joseph

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Friends,
can we calibrate a standard pin with a gauge? My thinking was we can calibrate a gauge with a standard but for calibration of standard we have to use more precise equipment .
Please advice
Thank you

Biju Joseph

You can use any suitable guage to make a calibration verification. The precision required - as well as accuracy and resolution needed, would depend on your needs. It has to tie back to known, master standards.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Depends. If the gage is not a supermic or very similar, then understand. Yes, you can, so long as you do not intend to use the pic for any kind of acceptance. The pin, calibrate even by a digital micrometer means you have lost an entire level of both traceability and precision. So long as you can easily live with that, then yes you can. Don't forget to calculate your uncertainty, based at the level of your calibration.

Now, if you truly need the precision of that pin, even with the uncertainty, then NO, you cannot do that and expect the same results.

Hope this helps.

Friends,
Please advice
Thank you

Biju Joseph

Top Bottom