Configuration Management for Build to Print Company

P

ProDad

Hi,
AS9100C 7.1.3 has the "as appropriate to the product" phrase in the requirement. We are a low volume, job shop for government spares and OEM parts. We have no design function and just build to spec. Specs can include multiple documents like drawings, parts lists, CAD data, tech data, etc etc. Each document has a revision, of course.

We cover clauses a., b. and c. of 7.1.3, by making sure all of our documentation matches the revision level of what we are making. We rarely have a change from a customer that even impacts what we do, but when that happens we are able to control having two configurations working their way through production. (We have no FG inventory.) No problems there.

My question is about d. and e. Configuration Status Accounting and Configuration Audit. I assume e. (audit) means that we need a process to verify that a part we are shipping matches the configuration called for on the PO. Do we just have to do this periodically and document it? Should it be part of the inspection plan for every part? Is it up to us how we do it?

And I'm not sure I understand what "Status Accounting" is or if it is appropriate to our product. Can someone enlighten me about that?

Thanks!:thanks:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi,
AS9100C 7.1.3 has the "as appropriate to the product" phrase in the requirement. We are a low volume, job shop for government spares and OEM parts. We have no design function and just build to spec. Specs can include multiple documents like drawings, parts lists, CAD data, tech data, etc etc. Each document has a revision, of course.

We cover clauses a., b. and c. of 7.1.3, by making sure all of our documentation matches the revision level of what we are making. We rarely have a change from a customer that even impacts what we do, but when that happens we are able to control having two configurations working their way through production. (We have no FG inventory.) No problems there.

My question is about d. and e. Configuration Status Accounting and Configuration Audit. I assume e. (audit) means that we need a process to verify that a part we are shipping matches the configuration called for on the PO. Do we just have to do this periodically and document it? Should it be part of the inspection plan for every part? Is it up to us how we do it?

And I'm not sure I understand what "Status Accounting" is or if it is appropriate to our product. Can someone enlighten me about that?

Thanks!:thanks:
Have you read ANSI/ISO/ASQ Q10007-2003?

If not send me a PM (private Massage)

or

Check this web page!

http://www.sae.org/servlets/registr...HGeneral&PAGE=getSCMHBOOK&vgenNum=115&scmhs=1

If you sign off the steps of production and inspection on the traveler as they are completed, you are practicing configuration accounting.

If you confirm that all configuration requirements have been met as part of final inspection, you are practicing configuration audit.

What's the problem?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
If you sign off the steps of production and inspection on the traveler as they are completed, you are practicing configuration accounting.

If you confirm that all configuration requirements have been met as part of final inspection, you are practicing configuration audit.

What's the problem?
I pretty much agree with this. If you use any type of "traveler" (hard paper, bar code, etc.) so that you have traceability of each part anywhere in any stage of production to assure part and print are the same version, you are certainly "accounting" and
if sampling (the audit snapshot) confirms your practice is consistent, in my opinion, then, you have fulfilled the requirement.

P

ProDad

What's the problem?
Thanks for the reply. There's no problem. I just wasn't sure if I was reading more into that requirement than what was there. Sounds like we have it covered.

Thanks again.

M

Mike_H

As a form of config audit, would it be enough to verify the revision level of the final assembly is per the released engineering revision level or is it a case of showing you are auditing the configuration to a larger extent? The AS9100 7.1.3 states "...as appropriate to the product" so this seems to give you flexibility to audit to whatever build level is acceptable to ensure configuration is in control. I don't see anywhere that "all configuration requirements" need to be audited, just those you think are appropriate. True?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H AS9100 D - 8.1.2 Configuration Management for Build-to-Print Service Provider AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
R Configuration Management - Identifying Documentation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
William55401 Distributed By Product - Best Practices for Configuration Management and Purchasing Controls ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
John Predmore Configuration Management as a process instead of a procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
G AS9100-8.1.2 Configuration Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
R Configuration Management in AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
N Configuration Management - Physical Audit and Functional Audit for Software and Hardware General Auditing Discussions 4
T Change control and configuration management - When to create a new model/part number? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
P Configuration Management Software EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 4
Q Configuration management clarification and example AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
A Risk Management and Configuration Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
K Example of ISO 10007 - Configuration Management Plan AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A AS9100. 7.1.3 Configuration Management. PCB production. ECN. Revision Control. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
K Software Configuration Management Audit Questions Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
Q Configuration Management Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
Wes Bucey Aerospace Configuration Management Webinar Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
Q Understanding Configuration Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
B How to define and implement Configuration Management Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Q Configuration Management Form example(s) wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
L What exactly does Configuration Management in ISO 9001, Clause 7.5.3 means? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Configuration Management System software that can also be linked to our ERP system AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
N Change Management, Configuration Management or Other Process? Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
G AATT Focus: Configuration Management & Risk Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
B AS9100 (FCA / PCA) of section 7.1.3 - Configuration Management - Audit question AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
B Configuration Management and ISO 10007 (again) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
K Configuration Management Procedure Template wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
K Configuration Management - AS9100 Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
T Upgrading to AS9120A - Configuration Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B What is meant by "Configuration Management"? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 36
O Difference between Configuration Management Procedure / Plan in IT context? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Who owns Configuration Management Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
C Configuration Management template or db wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
B How to ensure Configuration Management and Control manually AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
D AS9100 Configuration Management Procedure example wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
V Configuration Management - Configurable, Managed and Controlled Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Configuration Management - AS9100 Rev B or C AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
C Configuration Management requirements if this facility is not design responsible AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
T Configuration Management For Design and Development (Clause 7.1.3) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S Is Configuration Management Mandatory? AS9100 Clause 7.1.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
B Configuration Management - Is Configuration Management a requirement of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
N The International Society of Configuration Management (ISCM) certification exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
A Configuration Management and On-Hand/In-Transit Inventory Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
L Definition Configuration Management - What is Configuration Management? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
J Configuration Management - ISO 9001 - 7.6 Monitoring and Measuring Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Configuration Management compliance - Adding information to individual procedures AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
W Configuration Management for sub-contractors working to Customer Drawings AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
C Compliance with AS9100 Configuration Management Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
K Configuration, Risk Analysis and Project Management in one procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
K Configuration Management Basics - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
N Configuration Management Exemption? AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14