Control Numbers - Do you have to give a control number to every form you use?

J

Jamie

I couldn't find another thread that this really fit with so I started this one. I'm just curious how other people are handling control numbers.

In your opionon do you have to give a control number to every form you use? If so, Why and where is it documented?

The reason I'm asking, In creating my Internal Audit "stuff" I've creating a Internal Audit Checklist. This checklist is VERY generic, our Internal Auditors are responsible for completing them. Being noone has access to my drive on the server with all the quality "stuff" it would really hard to issue a control number for this form. Noone would be able to open the form from the server and enter their information. So I created a form and put it on a drive that the auditors have access to. Now I have to create the Audit Summary Report and am running into the same problem.

Any suggestions on how to handle this? Is it okay not to issue a Control Number for these forms, even though completed they'll become Quality Records? :bigwave:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
You don't have to number your forms. The standard says that records must be identifiable, most of the time you put a title on a form right? If you choose to identify them by the title, then that is good enough. There are some threads on control of records, and doc control that you might find some interesting information in.

E Wall

Just Me!
Six of one, half-dozen of the other...

This is purely your companies call. I can tell you what we did and why and hope that will help.

I also have a 'restricted' access server location that I keep my documents on. However, I do have another folder under a 'common' server location with open access and put current revisions of key forms that folks want to complete electonically.

I don't have a problem with anyone making adjustments to form structures so control hasn't been an issue. In our system we say that forms being used as records to support system processes or collect production/scrap information, must be controlled. This secures for us the consistency/reliability/repeatability of data/information regarding forms used.

Each of our departments is identified with a single letter and then forms consecutively numbered. Where a form is used by more than one department it is given a general department ID letter. The form # is placed in a footer along with revision information (ex: Q-21 Rev-6 09/20/01). Electronic file names are also made easy (same ex: Q21-6). Next revision will be Q21-7 and the Q21-6 will be moved to the Obsolete folder for historical information.

By the way I also use the same common sub-folder (called Document Control) to share work instructions and SOPs for engineers/supervisors/etc...to update rather than having one person identify changes needed and another make the changes. When completed, the files are removed from the common drive and put in the secure location.

S

Scott

4.2.3 Control of Documents

What about the requirement in "4.2.3 Control of documents, c) to ensure that changes and they current revision status of documents are identified".

Without Form numbers and revision information how do you meet this requirement?

Does this element not apply to forms?

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
You can keep revision information the same way for a form that goes by its title as you can for one with a number. i.e. your form is Internal Audit Report instead of form Q001, Internal Audit Report. Somewhere, probably in your footer you show the Rev. Level (Rev. 1).

I do not put all the revision info on forms, as in: 2/5/02, added column to record todays temperature (OK, it's a little far-fetched, but what do you want coming off the top of my head?:biglaugh: ) We keep a master list that is accessible through the internet browser at every computer throughout the facility, and all of the descriptions of changes are recorded there with the applicable rev. level.

J

Jamie

What I was trying to ask is do you have to control these forms at all (i.e. revision status)? I know once the Auditor has completed it, it becomes a record and then it is maintained as such.

In our old system set up to the 94 version. We used an Audit software from Harrington the Audit Checklist was already set up in the system so it didn't have a control number.

I no longer use this software and have created the checklist and wanted to be able to put it on the server so the Auditors had access to it for completion. I do like E-Wall's method of having a folder on the server with access for everyone that may need/want to complete the forms electronically. I may go with this method and just document this in my Document Control Procedure.:bigwave:

J

Jamie

I do not put all the revision info on forms, as in: 2/5/02, added column to record todays temperature (OK, it's a little far-fetched, but what do you want coming off the top of my head? ) We keep a master list that is accessible through the internet browser at every computer throughout the facility, and all of the descriptions of changes are recorded there with the applicable rev. level.

Do you have to keep a master list with all the descriptions of changes for forms? We do this for our work instructions and operational procedures. I've never thought about this from a "Form" stand point.

S

Scott

Summary of Changes on FORMS

Jamie,

We keep a Summary of Change for all of our procedures at the bottom of that document for the last three versions. The number three seemed to work for the auditor.

The auditor never said we had to have a "Summary of Changes? on forms, we just had to "Control the Document".

J

Jamie

Thanks for the input Scott. That is about what I do. I have a "Revision Sheet" at the end of each work inst. and OP where I identify the changes made and I just simply "control" my forms. :bigwave:

Top Bottom