Control of Externally Provided Processes, Products, and Services

gandhisa

Starting to get Involved
Our other company is in an As9100 D audit and I have a question regarding supplier risk. "The organization shall identify and manage the risks associated with the external provision of processes, products, and services, as well as the selection and use of external providers."

Currently we measure on time delivery and number of non conforming parts we receive. And we give a percentage based on that. This auditor is insisting that each supplier needs to have a risk number. Can someone please help me understand this more. Another auditor has reviewed this process and it has been sufficient.
I am probably not doing a great job in explaining this as I am confused

Randy

Super Moderator
Our other company is in an As9100 D audit and I have a question regarding supplier risk. "The organization shall identify and manage the risks associated with the external provision of processes, products, and services, as well as the selection and use of external providers."

Currently we measure on time delivery and number of non conforming parts we receive. And we give a percentage based on that. This auditor is insisting that each supplier needs to have a risk number. Can someone please help me understand this more. Another auditor has reviewed this process and it has been sufficient.

The auditor can't insist on crap and definitely nothing about a number. You don't need any kind of number of anything, your identification and management can't be a qualitative measure instead of quantitative....It's yours not the auditors

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Do you just have a single, combined metric where the data for all suppliers is jumbled together?

Big Jim

Admin

You get to determine how you are going to handle risk. The auditor doesn't. If he doesn't back down, talk to his certification body. He is waaaaay out of line.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Full disclosure...it has been +15 years since my Aero field experience...however, I will take an unpopular position here...he may be getting at something deeper? How does you firm handle Supplier Quality, in a global sense not just assigning a single metric, do you perform initial qualification, audit annualy or otherwise depending on supplier performance...just my 3 Euros, but I think he is looking for more? The above reflects time in the automotive arena...where a proactive SQ function is worth the investment.

hope this helps...
Optomist1

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
... This auditor is insisting that each supplier needs to have a risk number. ...
Assigning a risk number to every supplier is not an AS9100D requirement. Are we sure this is the wording of the auditor? Or possibly the person who relayed it to you didn't use the auditor's exact words?

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Yeah, at first I was thinking another idiot auditor making up requirements, but then I got to wondering....

I'd like to know more about the auditor's exact words and the context they were made.

Top Bottom