Controlling E-Forms in SharePoint & JIRA

TacitBlue

Involved In Discussions
What is the best practice or means for controlling electronic SharePoint or JIRA forms in a QMS document control library?

We control our procedures, forms, policies, etc. in a main business process library; however, we have had challenges controlling electronic forms that are created in SharePoint and JIRA.

The current process for E-forms is for the process owner to create a Word version of the form including the form fields, which is then approved by the process owner, process manager, and our QMR. The process owner then requests that IT construct and publish the form in SharePoint or JIRA, and then, finally, our doc control people save the Word document form (including assigning document number and revision) in our process procedure library.

Any thoughts on this?

AEOS_QA

Involved In Discussions
We are a much smaller company but I we start the process of with a draft from within the the process procedure library. We find it is much easier to document and automate the review and approval process. You can also create templates for various document types so you don't have to start everything from scratch.
Maybe start with what works best within the existing DocControl system and see if the process can be improved using existing features.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
For Jira, are you saying that you have a team develop a form and then, once the form is approved, you implement that in Jira using the Jira constructs? And then you don't use the Word copy of the form? I would suggest that the Word doc need not be controlled at all and the Jira configuration is controlled through the normal Jira controls. (I don't think I've seen any of client companies I work with try to control the Jira constructs beyond basic Jira controls, either.) Not sure what you're doing in SharePoint but it may be a similar deal.

TacitBlue

Involved In Discussions
Yes, we essentially are redundantly creating a word document (with rev and doc number) that mirrors what we want to put on JIRA or SharePoint as a form, it goes through the approval process, and then is posted to SharePoint or JIRA and the word doc is saved in our library.

Are you saying that we really only need to create the form on JIRA or SharePoint and insert a revision and document number on the e-form in JIRA or SharePoint?

I guess the question is, how do we keep track of changes, approvals and revision history?

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
Are you saying that we really only need to create the form on JIRA or SharePoint and insert a revision and document number of the form?
We don't have a revision number.

I guess the question is, how do we keep track of changes and revision history?
Not sure it's even necessary.

The resulting records are presented as compliance evidence. The only time I saw an auditor / inspector ask about form revision control was when the form had a revision number. To me, if the record is compliant, it should be satisfactory.

Validating a system like Jira for its intended use can ensure the controls are in place to properly manage the constructs (fields).

That's been my experience. I hope others can chime in if they've experienced anything different.

Top Bottom