Definition Customer Expectations vs. Requirements - Definitions

I

Ingeniero1

As most do, I agree that requirements are clearly and specifically spelled out, whereas expectations are the 'obvious' characteristics that don't really need to be spelled. The expectations, however, maybe just as important as the requirements; e.g., the un-opened trash liner in the can is useless until it is opened up.

But be careful about 'exceeding' requirements in an attempt to meet 'perceived' expectations. A few days ago I started a thread on this subject, BTW.

A fine example of what can happen is provided by David. He said that the customer required a 1/2-hp motor, but to exceed the expectations, the vendor may provide a motor with an output of 3/4-hp. However, the 3/4-hp can present a variety of problems: It would draw more current than expected and overload the supply circuit and components, or the additional torque may override clutches and other safety mechanisms, to name a couple. Perhaps a 3/4-hp may be fine, but it definitely would be better to provide what the customer specified.

How would we meet (not exceed) expectations in this case? Well, for example, the customer may have not specified that the paint on the motor should be evenly applied and not peel off, but we know that, so we will provide a nicely painted motor with a durable finish.

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BadgerMan

Pardon me if this has already been said, but could it be that the term "requirement" implies a contractual obligation? Is it possible that it is as simple as that................?

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
BadgerMan said:
Pardon me if this has already been said, but could it be that the term "requirement" implies a contractual obligation? Is it possible that it is as simple as that................?

What you say is generally reasonable, but in the ISO world we cannot ignore the fact that ISO 9000, section 3.1.2 defines requirement as a "need or expectation that is stated, generally implied, or obligatory". Your definition is closer to what ISO 9000 refers to as a "specified requirement" (note 3). :bonk:

D

db

Rachel said:
Especially not with a cold coffee... :biglaugh:
(ba-dum-bum...okay, sorry folks, that was lame.) :rolleyes:

Yep, it was lame, but I would have said it as well.

I think the answer to the question comes from the standard itself.

a) requirements specified by the customer...(requirements)
b) requirements not stated ...but necessary...(expectations)
c) statutory and regulatory requirements... (expectations)
d) any additional requirements...

If we look at all of the examples here, from coffee to pallets remaining upright, they all fit into one of the three categories. When I order coffee, I "expect" it to be hot. That falls under b). There may be laws on how hot the coffee has to be (minimum/maximum). That would fall under c). Of course I want it with cream and sugar. That's an a) item. Tim Horton franchise rules might also specify the temperature range of coffee. That would fall under d).

Anything the customer "expects", but doesn't specifically ask for would fall under b), at least in my opinion. It all goes back to "what does the standard say". :read:

Top Bottom