Determining effectiveness and efficiency

Littlemiss

Involved In Discussions
Effectiveness and efficiency process audits

In your process audits what are some ways you are determining effectiveness and efficiency using customer specific approaches?

malasuerte

Quite Involved in Discussions
So you use the approach or the requirement the customer has documented. You don't invent "ways" to determine. Just follow their requirements if applicable or if they have them.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Auditing a system's processes for effectiveness makes sense to me. This can be done impartially too.

But I would not agree to audit a system or one of its processes for efficiency. Better to engage the employees in designing their process to deliver more bang for the buck.

Auditors may help but we are not managers or process designers when we audit.

malasuerte

Quite Involved in Discussions
Auditing a system's processes for effectiveness makes sense to me. This can be done impartially too.

But I would not agree to audit a system or one of its processes for efficiency. Better to engage the employees in designing their process to deliver more bang for the buck.

Auditors may help but we are not managers or process designers when we audit.

True. But that is not the OPs question. It was: "what are some ways you are determining effectiveness and efficiency using customer specific approaches?"

If there is a CSR which says determine effectiveness using xyz, that is what you would do; same for efficiency. If it is not prescribed as a CSR, then the org would use whatever they have in place (as you noted for example).

Randy

Super Moderator
Efficiency isn't a separate category; it's a part of effectiveness.
Not completely true

(From ISO 9000:2015)
3.7.10 efficiency
relationship between the result achieved and the resources used

3.7.11 effectiveness
extent to which planned activities are realized and planned results are achieved
Note 1 to entry: This constitutes one of the common terms and core definitions for ISO management system standards given in Annex SL of the Consolidated ISO Supplement to the ISO/IEC Directives, Part 1. The original definition has been modified by adding “are” before “achieved”.

Top Bottom