Do You Look at Your Registrar as a Supplier?

M

M Greenaway

Does anyone out there view their registrar as a supplier ?

If so what supplier assessment do you conduct ?

I think its a great idea to go and audit your registrar - is this just stupidly asking for trouble, or could there be any real benefit (other than personal pleasure) ?

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
yes-that would be fun

I think its a great idea to go and audit your registrar - is this just stupidly asking for trouble, or could there be any real benefit (other than personal pleasure) ?
I think it's a great idea, but not always practical. I can just see it now, telling the boss I have to make a trip east to audit our registrar- I'm sure I would get "What - are you NUTS?" To which I would just politely nod my head.

CarolX

A

Al Dyer

The registrar supplies a service that is directly related to the quality/management system. I would surely have them on the supplier list and let them hang themselves if they don't answer you supplier questionairre or whatever tool you use to monitor suppliers.

My not so humble opinion!:(

E

energy

Not good

Originally posted by Al Dyer
The registrar supplies a service that is directly related to the quality/management system. I would surely have them on the supplier list and let them hang themselves if they don't answer you supplier questionairre or whatever tool you use to monitor suppliers.
My not so humble opinion!:(
They may be on your supplier's list, but to atagonize them is akin to asking a policeman to see his identification as he orders you out of your car because you're naked in a school zone! If it's the first year of a three year contract, it's akin to the above, except you are also holding hands with your cocker spaniel who is dressed up in a red babydoll nightgown. Unless, you have lots of cash to get another registrar and go for the whole certification again, be careful about beating them up like you would do to your normal suppliers. When I choose a registrar, they will be treated like a Customer, no matter who's paying. No one is squeaky clean and you may need some cooperation. You get what you give. JMHO.
:ko::smokin:

Last edited by a moderator:
M

M Greenaway

A relationship with your suppliers can be as productive and co-operative as the relationship you would like to have with your customers.

But yes I am sure it would be seen as antagonistic, and would probably deteriorate after a short while, even with the best intentions.

I guess it is right to treat them as a customer as they are in effect the customers representative (even if they have no idea what the customer actually wants of the product).

Still its nice to dream.

A

Aaron Lupo

Yes, you should treat your Registrar as a supplier. You should put them through the same qualifying process you would any critical supplier. When I do certification/surveillance audits, I check to see that the registrar is on the approved supplier list, if not I let them know they should be. Should you audit them, IMHO I would say no. You are already paying enough for some of these registrars services, let them come to you. Should you interview them have them visit you, have them fill out a supplier qualification form yes! If they see it an antagonizing then I would not use them. Yes, it is a delicate relationship, but they are not special. If they screw up call them on it, they would you wouldn’t they. I let our current registrar know in no uncertain terms they are not meeting our expectations, and that I am very unhappy with their current services. Not the auditors they are sending us, but the office staff. Don’t be afraid of your registrar.

E

energy

Okay!

Originally posted by ISO GUY
Yes, you should treat your Registrar as a supplier. You should put them through the same qualifying process you would any critical supplier. When I do certification/surveillance audits, I check to see that the registrar is on the approved supplier list, if not I let them know they should be. Should you audit them, IMHO I would say no. You are already paying enough for some of these registrars services, let them come to you. Should you interview them have them visit you, have them fill out a supplier qualification form yes! If they see it an antagonizing then I would not use them. Yes, it is a delicate relationship, but they are not special. If they screw up call them on it, they would you wouldn’t they. I let our current registrar know in no uncertain terms they are not meeting our expectations, and that I am very unhappy with their current services. Not the auditors they are sending us, but the office staff. Don’t be afraid of your registrar.

You just remember that!:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :ko: :smokin:

A

Aaron Lupo

Re: Okay!

Originally posted by energy

You just remember that!:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :ko: :smokin:
Unless of course you are Energy then you should be afraid VERY AFRAID! LOL

:biglaugh:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: Registrar Selection

Originally posted by M Greenaway

Does anyone out there view their registrar as a supplier?
Yes.
If so what supplier assessment do you conduct ?

I think its a great idea to go and audit your registrar - is this just stupidly asking for trouble, or could there be any real benefit (other than personal pleasure)?
Personal pleasure, I guess. I can't see a reason to visit them. I would expect evidence on your end that they were evaluated and to be an approved supplier and what criteria you used. I would see the criteria as being mostly a financial decision as all registrars will have the basic requirement - that they are 'certified' to register companies by the IRAC or RAB or what/whoever. But - some companies, for example, include 'national prominance' or 'international prominance' - this may be part of your requirements. I had a client which wanted UL because they believed UL to be "...unimpeachable..." if trouble came up (shades of Arthur Anderson?). In their case, that was not a documented requirement but probably should have been... :rolleyes:

Randy

Super Moderator
Registrars get audited too. Normally their accreditation body does it I guess. A few months ago I was hired by a Registrar to do a 3rd party audit of their operation. I did it and the results became part of thier record and then the whole C&P action stuff took place. I had to verify that the C&P was accomplished satisfactorily. Maybe some other folks here have done that also.

I think for the most part Registrars are made up of good folks that want to and actually do the right thing. We need to remember that they are in business like everyone else to generate cash flow. Of all organizations, Registrars should and most possibly would understand the need to meet the supplier criteria of the folks they service. I'm not defending anybody...let's say I'm being a "Devil's Advocate"

Top Bottom