Document Control IATF

frytka

Registered
Hello, can someone advise if I changed the template for example on the Work Instructions that mean I need to redo and reprint all the existing work instructions to the new template? We are IATF certified, and I look at this but cannot find a yes or no answer, ISO 9001 doesn't state it either.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
there is no requirement (that i am aware of) that would require you to make that change. is it possible that the NEW format contains instructions or practices which would make the 'old' format incorrect? if not, then i would keep a copy of the old format as evidence that it is what you used in the past, and revise any existing work instructions as they require it due to new information or practices.

qusys

IATF and ISO 9001 do not mention this. This could be an internal requirement of your QMS related to the control of the documented information.
As a suggestion from my point of view, it depends on the criticality of the change related to the template. Are there additional info in it?

frytka

Registered
IATF and ISO 9001 do not mention this. This could be an internal requirement of your QMS related to the control of the documented information.
As a suggestion from my point of view, it depends on the criticality of the change related to the template. Are there additional info in it?
It is, for example visual standard will include note : check minimum one set every half an hour, as a minimum visual check requirements for an operator. But this came to live recently, and I already have got tens of visual standards printed displayed on the shop floor..

UncleFester

Involved In Discussions
I see no reason why you would need to redo and reprint all of your existing work instructions onto your new template. I suggest that you record your new template with a revision newer than your old template, then any new instructions can be written onto your new template. If you make any changes to your instructions one the old template then you could update them onto the new template.

qusys

It is, for example visual standard will include note : check minimum one set every half an hour, as a minimum visual check requirements for an operator. But this came to live recently, and I already have got tens of visual standards printed displayed on the shop floor..
If the change is relevant, the document should reflect it for the application of the personnel. Consider to avoid paper and manage it with electronic tools available on the point of use.

Ashland78

Quite Involved in Discussions
We had to do that our plant. And did it over a 3 year cycle. All procedures would have typically been reviewed in 2l3 year period. This was due to our logo changing

All procedures I would hope would be reviewed entry three years. At least starting reviewed no changes.

kenb

Starting to get Involved
I see no reason why you would need to redo and reprint all of your existing work instructions onto your new template. I suggest that you record your new template with a revision newer than your old template, then any new instructions can be written onto your new template. If you make any changes to your instructions one the old template then you could update them onto the new template.
This is exactly what we do and we've never had an issue with an auditor, whether IATF or customer.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
The document control system should include a mechanism for making changes, which would include a description of the change(s), the rationale behind it, and disposition of existing items.

Top Bottom