ERP/MRP system as part of the QMS (Quality Management System)

Status
Not open for further replies.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
ERP/MRP is one of the resources of the organization to run the business. As such, it has to be considered as an integral part of QMS and not as an "external body".
As a simple example to make it real, it could be that inside ERP/MRP there are lots of data pertaining to the business, whose retention is requirement.

L

LexieB

Thanks, my goal is to ensure that when we implement the ERP system it works as part of our QMS and adds value to the organization. Any advice from someone who's been there, done that would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Al40

I'm in the process of the same, but luckily I don't have to argue about it being part of the QMS :)

I basically see the system as a set of controlled documents, and the cool thing is you can set them up (if it's flexible) to fit your needs. You can generally add verifications, make sure it tracks any change history, etc. I think it makes document control and tracking super easy. The only thing you need to watch for is that enough fields generate meaning so it's not garbage in --> garbage out. I found that I had a hard time tracking OTD for raw materials because the purchasing people were just leaving the default date in there (like 2 days) and didn't have a firm due date from vendors (it would be like a week or so). We had to sit down and determine appropriate due dates for various parts to make sure we could start tracking OTD.

P

Peter West

Our company is looking into setting up an ERP and I am currently setting up the QMS for our Middle East offices. I expect that as soon as the QMS is in place and approved, it will all have to change to account for the introduction of the new ERP. Funnily enough I have also been assigned a role within the ERP group to ensure proper international consideration of all it's parts.

I have no knowledge of ERPs so expect I will be doing a lot of reading up. Is there anyone out there that may be able to point me in the right direction for things to consider for both:

a) QMS working with an ERP, and
b) ensuring the ERP is global (not UK-centric)

Thanks

ps: my general business operations knowledge (finance, IT, "businessy stuff") is not particularly high (i.e. no education such as MBA etc) but I am capable of picking up anything).

T

TamTom

Hey Al40,

Do think that the ERP System has nothing to do with the Quality System is stupid.

But from my experience, it is maybe not they don't see the point, but that they want to avoid the work, a lot of people, start to defense them self when checklists come to the plan.

How big and complicated is your planning list? Maybe it is the tool you want to use?
from time to time it is a big help to rename a tool and sell it to the project leader as it was his own idea.

Because everybody want to get the system running at the end, with less cost as possible, so the need a controlling tool, maybe something near your list.

Regards,

Tamtom

R

Red Bead

Hello, everyone! I'm from the very beginning of the thread and have been following everyone's responses. Here's my update:

Yes, I still have the people who don't see the ERP system as part of the QMS. I keep hoping these dinosaurs will either evolve or go find another job in a firm happy to be in the Jurassic era. My story does have a happy ending, though, in that we hired an Ops guy really big on LEAN. His ideas and mine mesh very nicely together. He is very strong on defining the process and following it ... and definitely sees the ERP as part of the QMS. Our current Finance person is very interested in controlling the data in the ERP, making sure it's used properly, etc. so that helps.

Waiting until the mammals outnumber the dinos is not a particularly useful strategy for anyone out there fighting this battle, but one dino did sort of evolve, so perhaps there is hope. I never found one particularly useful argument; I think it was just constant attempts at education. Little drops of water wear away the stone and all that.

Anyway, good luck to more recent posters!

MrEshel

Registered
AL40,

Do you want some tips from a quality standpoint or a quality system standpoint? I realize it is semantics, but, it may not be semantics to your higher-ups.

Having worked with an ERP system with a ISO 9001 compliant system, I did learn a great deal about how to handle the ISO 9001 requirements (let's just say there were very few instructions - the software did the controlling of the process).

We are also reviewing potential ERP systems. Most do have a pretty good quality module so that is much less of a concern than it used to be (used to be very difficult to find).

What are you concerned/wondering about?

John

Re: ERP/MRP system as part of the QMS

It is ironic that this subject came up. We are currently reviewing potential vendors of an ERP system (we currently have a 10 yr old financial package).

Fortunately, I was already able to convince the owner that we need to ensure that the ERP will be used to make our quality system easier (plus, all the other benefits that come with the use of an ERP).

For instance, many work instructions can be eliminated as the software will control many items that are documented at this time.

Training can be documented online.
All quality related items can be online
Customer complaint review and closure can be online.
Dramatic increase in capacity (we are currently typing each invoice for instance :mg:)
etc...etc...etc....

Basically, I don't have the OP's issue. In fact, I have the exact opposite. I am the co-chair of our committee and the point of contact for the vendors!!:D

John
So John,
can I ask what ERPs were on your shortlist, we are a small MD manf. and I appreciate some direction,
Thanks
Ronnie

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
I am locking the thread - after 14 years if someone has a new question regarding this topic they should start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom