Experience Records - ISO 9001:2015

QC-Mike

Registered
Our company is currently working to tighten up our Training Program and move forward with ISO 9001: 2015 compliance.

I was wondering how most companies keep and maintain experience records for professionals who come into the company with pre-determined skills and experience.

I have used a log at a former employer that was compliant, however, I am starting fresh and looking for some specific information to capture on these logs along with any actions related to experience records that I can consider.

Thank you all in advance!

Randy

Super Moderator
Experience? Many times an intangible such as the fall during a "HALO" jump, you can describe it but unless it's actually experienced how it feels is just guessed. There are other things that can be experienced but escape actually knowledge such as in the dirt combat, childbirth, a tooth extraction, geeting severly injured and so on. I'm an expereinced "3rd party CB auditor" as are others here, we can describe it but unless you've done it for 20 years you're just guessing.

Experience can't really be quantified because each of us can experience an event but our portion of that experience can be totally different, I encounter it all the time with VN veterans where some guys having been in "rear echelon" organizations though they are "War Veterans" don't share the same experiences I have with my being an Infantryman with 20 months in the mud. Even CB auditors, though they may have similar years and background have experienced the work differently.

Life experiences, though they might have been concurrent in the years (me 1951 to now) will never be the same. I grew up in a time of segregation here in the US, but my dad was in the Air Force and never once do I recall seeing a sign "Whites Only", "Black Enterance" or anything like that, so the experiences of myself and siblings are most likely different than those of others who didn't grow up on integrated military bases and in integrated communities.

In the absence of "quantification" as was previously posted, a resume with the words "Comptroller", "Manager", "A&P", "Patrol Officer", "Attorney/Lawyer" and a couple rough descriptive words is about the best one can expect.

QC-Mike

Registered
Resume placed in employee folder. How complicated do you want to make it ?

No complicated just compliant. I am wanting to make sure all angles are covered however (overthinker).

When employees don’t have a resume on file (but we’re vetted during the interview process)?

Educated employees with out a copy of a degree in their file?

Employees that have been with the company for a period of time that predates our current training requirements and program?

I wasn’t sure if records for each experience need to be kept or a simple experience log for each employee would suffice. (And if a log is acceptable what info would need to be listed on the log?

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
No complicated just compliant. I am wanting to make sure all angles are covered however (overthinker).

When employees don’t have a resume on file (but we’re vetted during the interview process)?

Educated employees with out a copy of a degree in their file?

Employees that have been with the company for a period of time that predates our current training requirements and program?

I wasn’t sure if records for each experience need to be kept or a simple experience log for each employee would suffice. (And if a log is acceptable what info would need to be listed on the log?
So you mentioned ISO 9001. The only requirement is to keep records as evidence of competence. My opinion is the best/easiest way is to make a competence review part of an employee review process (which I suppose technically it is regardless). As long as that review is documented somewhere, you should be fine. We are a small company and now document all reviews on a spreadsheet -- each employee has a separate tab.

Randy

Super Moderator
I wasn’t sure if records for each experience need to be kept or a simple experience log for each employee would suffice.
Where would you start with "experience" to keep a log of? I'm almost 72 years old and have been working continuously since I was 15-16, many times holding down multiple & varied careers at the same time try to record or document that.

Golfman25

Where would you start with "experience" to keep a log of? I'm almost 72 years old and have been working continuously since I was 15-16, many times holding down multiple & varied careers at the same time try to record or document that.
Well I once had an employer ask me for my High school transcripts. I was like 26 years old. :)

Michael_M

Our company is currently working to tighten up our Training Program and move forward with ISO 9001: 2015 compliance.

I was wondering how most companies keep and maintain experience records for professionals who come into the company with pre-determined skills and experience.

I have used a log at a former employer that was compliant, however, I am starting fresh and looking for some specific information to capture on these logs along with any actions related to experience records that I can consider.

Thank you all in advance!
My suggestion: Don't overthink it or over complicate it.

Where I work, I am a Quality Manager in a small 16 man machine shop. I have a simple excel matrix that lists 'job title' with the name(s) of the people under that and all the various 'skills' around the plant. Under each name I have a rank of 0 (no skill) to 5 (master). Since not everyone needs a specific skill, I also have "is this skill required by this job title". If someone has a skill that is not necessary for their job title, I still list it. For example, I (Quality Manager) ended up designing and setting up the Horizontal mill as I have had previous experience (in a past life) with horizontal mills. I am attaching an image file for reference (note I hid all names but mine). The matrix is mostly general and is reviewed frequently. Also note: The Manufacturing Manager is blank because we currently do not have one.

Attachments

• Experience Records - ISO 9001:2015
    Matrix.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 66

Michael_M

How did you quantify/qualify those levels? What are they calibrated to?
I cannot tell if this is the standard "Randy Sarcasm' or if you are actually asking the question so I will answer. On a rank of 0-5, how well can the individual perform the task.
0=no training,
1= limited training and supervision is required,
2= Basic understanding, trainer should double check,
3= can perform the task,
4= can perform and do training,
5= expert knowledge and ability.

The numbers are subjective and no there is no test or physical way to determine if someone is a 3 or a 4 other than someone with authority deciding that is the number. As an example, I wrote the Quality Manual, I understand and can train about it, however, I cannot quote it and still have to open the book when I need a specific answer.

Top Bottom