FAI (First Article Inspection) of Large Assemblies/Tooling after move to new building

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: FAI (First Article Inspection) of Large Assemblies/Tooling after move to new buil

We cannot answer that question. only your SQE can answer that question. QA_Newbie had an excellent suggestion regarding developing a plan for qualifying that the tools were not effected by the move, but your SQE must approve it.

Having been employed by a major aircraft engine manufacturer that did move equipment (to outsourcers in mexico, china and across the street to their own facility) I can say that we did full FAI. 'cuz if an engine fails it almost always does it in flight and there are almost always souls on board when it does.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: FAI (First Article Inspection) of Large Assemblies/Tooling after move to new buil

Thanks everyone for the input. I really appreciate it. I have a pretty good understanding of the requirements based on AS9102. I am hoping to get some practical input based on experience performing FAI on large assemblies.

Assume that this part is a large A/C fuselage section where a tool is used to locate and drill 1000's of holes on each fuselage half and then assemble the two halves together installing 1000's of fasteners. This operation has been performed to numerous shipsets and by the same personnel for years.

The tool gets moved to another building and located and shot in (theodolite) per the tool drawing requirements. The same personnel will be performing the operations in the new building using all the same processes, etc.
Also take into consideration that per the assembly drawing, the tool is used as the sole means of inspecting all hole locations (no dimensions on the Assy b/p).

Also, the assy drawing provides allowance of up to 2nd o/s fasteners in case of holes that may have an o/s condition.

Customer only requires that the program be AS9100 certified per contract.

So...do I really have to inspect and document every hole location, diameter and fastener installation as part of an FAI?

Thanks again!!!
I've been around for a pretty long time and I am confused by this sentence
Also, the assy drawing provides allowance of up to 2nd o/s fasteners in case of holes that may have an o/s condition.

When I was still active in aerospace, regardless of whether we were dealing in composites or aluminum, drilling oversize holes produced shudders of dread which ran up and down the entire supply chain as we envisioned potential propagation of cracks or weakening of material due to too much material being removed. I am not mollified by the comment that it is "planned for" and allows use of oversize fasteners to compensate. The image that flashes through my mind is of the United Airlines jet that had its fuselage peeled back like a cheap sardine can when the material failed. (http://articles.latimes.com/1989-02-24/news/mn-420_1_foot-hole) Of course, the Aloha jet story also added to the horror stories in my head.(http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,149181,00.html)

P

PaulJSmith

You're looking for the easy way out, and, as BevD already stated, that easy way is to just do the work. Err on the safe side. You're building parts for an aircraft, malfunctions of which usually have serious consequences to all involved. During an inquiry, that will include you.

No one likes to do FAIs. Investigations after a failure are even worse. Don't be that guy.

Top Bottom