Faster way to Tag Parts for Painting

I

Illek

We are AS9100 FAA TC EASA Maintenance and Manufacturing facility. We fabricate parts in house. I was asked to search for something by our Paint department. We require tags for parts for before and after painting. Something that won't be obscured by the paint process. We have parts that get metal tags that are hand punched with various numbers and letters. Is there an automatic machine out there that can speed up the process? I tried google but I am not sure what key words to use.

Appreciate any suggestions,
:thanks:

P

PaulJSmith

Yes, those machines do exist. When I was at GKN - St. Louis, they used just such a machine in their paint department. It functions like a printer connected to a computer. You enter the information in the appropriate fields, hit "print," and you get a punched metal tag/label for the part. However, I cannot for the life of me remember who made it. Surely someone here knows, though.

K

kgott

what about looking for say plastic tags, like cattle tags, that are pre-printed with raised consecutive numbers that can still be read even if they are covered in paint. Tie them on with cable ties.

E

eHemingway

One idea would be using dot peen markers although I am unaware of how expensive that is... The identification numbers (P/Ns, S/Ns, etc.) will remain readable before and after painting and it is a technique widely used in aviation industry.

I

Illek

I appreciate the help.
Pre-printed tags are not an option since the numbers are generated as needed using numbers that another department issues. I have used google too but was hoping for an exact name or model of a cost effective machine that someone here may already be using. Its one thing to see it on the internet and another to use it day to day.
Again appreciate the input from Elsmar folks.
:thanx:

P

PaulJSmith

I sent the question to a former coworker asking for the info, but have yet to see a reply. I'll let you know if/when I get one.

Top Bottom