How to amend changes in HR procedure ISO 9001:2008

U

UmaMuniyappa

Hello everyone,

Can anyone suggest whether the following points can be added to HR procedure for ISO 9001:2008 as am responsible for revision of procedure for our organisation. Please help me. Thankyou in advance

Activities covered in workplace safety procedure
1.Hazard prevention & control
2.Medical emergencies
3.workplace safety programs

Employee discipline procedure
1.Responses to misconduct
2.Verbal warning
3.Suspension
4.Termination.

S

samsung

A very warm welcome to the Cove!

If the management of workplace safety & emergencies lie within the boundaries (scope) of HR, you can do so but I couldn't get to what you mean by 'adding points'. Do you not want to define full procedures for preventing hazards & meeting other safety requirements? If not what purpose does this document serve?

Please provide more information such as what kind of processes you have and whether, in addition to 9001, you have adopted or are planning to adopt OHSAS for OHS management?

Employee discipline is ofcourse an element of HR business and can thus be incorporated in your procedure.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
I'm not sure what you are wanting to add to HR procedure in regards to the safety items you have listed. I think if you could provide more information, we might be able to help you better. FWIW, we have HR procedures that are stand alone, and not included in our ISO systems, those are discipline, drug and weapons policies, vacation, sick leave, jury duty, FMLA, Code of Conduct/Ethics and such. Our HR is included in things like provision of resources, training, competence etc.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Hello everyone,

Can anyone suggest whether the following points can be added to HR procedure for ISO 9001:2008 as am responsible for revision of procedure for our organisation. Please help me. Thankyou in advance

Activities covered in workplace safety procedure
1.Hazard prevention & control
2.Medical emergencies
3.workplace safety programs

Employee discipline procedure
1.Responses to misconduct
2.Verbal warning
3.Suspension
4.Termination.
Welcome here Uma.
First things is that ISO9001:2008 clause 6.2, (Human resources) does not need you to have a documented procedure.
Having said that, if you have a procedure it is your good practice and you can manage changes to the procedure per your procedure for control of documents.
Now the 2008 version does not ask you to address all the listed points in your opening post.
So I would suggest that you do NOT amend the HR procedure (if you already have one addressing the ISO 9001:2008 requirements)
These listed points need a good depth and are best addressed as seperate standard operating procedures. Some of them would also have been covered in your company standing orders, that are approved by your zone labour commissioner. (Your HR / Admin guys would know this)
Please see that you do not duplicate them and make something that would not find a place within ISO 9001 scope.

Last edited:
B

bazzle - 2012

You can have anthing you want in your procedures as long as they cover the intent of the standard used when an audit for complance is performed.
Some documented parts are just not relevant at the time.

Bazzle

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

The two sets of human resource processes you listed are wholly different.

The first one involves programs to avoid injury outcomes; most involve a management approach to engineering of equipment or processes to remove or manage risk via eliminating conscious choices in behavior. Although there is an ISO clause directing us to manage personnel safety to promote production of good product, doing so is a system involving a great deal more than that one clause in ISO.

The second one involves human behavior management, which involves HR more closely because of its focus on ability, behavior and motivation; the approach is arguably less technical than a safety program.

My papers don't include procedures, but I addressed both of these topics in my Stealth Quality series in the Reading Room:

Slaying Workplace Safety Costs - this one talks about the engineering of safety management.

When Employees Don't Follow Procedures - this one has a flow chart for dealing with employee performance issues.

I hope this helps!

Top Bottom