How to apply Incoming (Receiving) Inspection to Customer Supplied Material?

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Re: How to apply Incoming Inspection with customer supplied material?

Our material is cut parts cloth, leather (for seat trim cover), about 40,000 parts per lot.

1. These are not 'manufactured' products and hence unrealistic if you talk about 'zero defect'. Moreover, they are usually supplied in bulk, giving you no chance to inspect whatever is inside the whole bundle.

2. You can exercise some control through selection of suppliers but unfortunately, that is outside your scope.

3. I'll agree with the others that you treat it as customers property but do check with your higher ups on how the agreement or contract with your customer is structured.

4. Chances are, your responsibility is to check the raw material as it moves along your production line. The earlier you detect it, the less is the wastage (in terms of value added work on your part).

qusys

Hi Nkson,
you are on the right way.
However I think that clause 7.4.3.1 deals with the quality of the purchased product. If your unique Customer ( that is also your Supplier for this kind of material you than assembly) does not issue any Purchase Order to formally sell you the material, I think that the clause can be meet with the 5th line of the 7.4.3.1 requirement "....utilizing another method agreed with the Customer".
In this sense I had asked for an eventual formal agreement with it for this process.
I think you are not required to have a written procedure for incoming.
As other Covers have said, you can refer to control plan and make reference to work instruction, after put them in controlled document, for example.
What about?
Thank you for all replying.
We don't have any agreement with Customer of Incoming inspection.
I also thought about applying 7.5.4 "Customer Property".
But at this time I was not sure of conformation with TS requirement 7.4.3.1 "Incoming Product Quality" if we don't have an individual Incoming inspection procedure in-place.
Currently, we only have procedure of Control NC Product mentioned about disposition of NC material, but not yet have any documented work instruction to show operators and QC how to verify suspect material (only verbal). If I make it, so no need any more Incoming Inspection procedure?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Thank you for all replying.
We don't have any agreement with Customer of Incoming inspection.
I also thought about applying 7.5.4 "Customer Property".
But at this time I was not sure of conformation with TS requirement 7.4.3.1 "Incoming Product Quality" if we don't have an individual Incoming inspection procedure in-place.
Currently, we only have procedure of Control NC Product mentioned about disposition of NC material, but not yet have any documented work instruction to show operators and QC how to verify suspect material (only verbal). If I make it, so no need any more Incoming Inspection procedure?
I haven't read through all of the replies in this thread, so this may be redundant. 7.4.3.1 applies to purchased product. If you're not paying for the material your customer supplies, 7.4.3.1 doesn't apply. 7.5.4 (Customer Property) describes the requirements for "...customer property provided for use or incorporation into the product."

On the other hand, if you are paying for the material, 7.4.3.1 allows for a "...method agreed with the customer." This means that you don't need to have incoming inspection per se, and what you're currently doing, if put in writing by the customer, will suffice.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!

You should be treating customer supplied incoming material the same way you should any other supplier, except with the strict accounting of rejected parts that is required. That being said, you can only push so hard...they are your customer. Your best defense is you are trying to meet your quality system requirements - the same requirements that assures the quality they receive.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

You should be treating customer supplied incoming material the same way you should any other supplier, except with the strict accounting of rejected parts that is required. That being said, you can only push so hard...they are your customer. Your best defense is you are trying to meet your quality system requirements - the same requirements that assures the quality they receive.
There could be (and probably are) good reasons to treat customer-supplied material differently from purchased material. There should be some form of understanding regarding liability for value added to nonconforming customer-supplied material, for example. While this sort of thing should also be accounted for in dealing with purchased material, if there's no invoice involved there's nothing to debit when it comes to material supplied by customers.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!

To be more specific, the verification of the incoming quality should not be affected. The accounting may differ, although an invoice may not be specifically involved, typically there is some type of accounting of the material shipped and received, as well as the difference of finished material outgoing (a part of the strict accounting I was referring to).

N

nkson

:thanks: Thank you all! I know how to do now!

J

jhoniegudel

Congratulations. You found the right place for asking about your problem.

C

Citizen Kane

I think the fair and logical approach is to detect eventual failures before the production. So, incoming inspection should be linked either with your WRH or with a specific department (SQM - supplier quality, warranty, incoming quality, etc. - different dept. names).

The production should receive good parts - production must produce, not sort the pieces - they should verify if the value was added as it shoulded, not if they have something bad from the start. This is a clear task of your SQM/WRH ! And, if they don't have any people to cover the 100% inspection, than they should hire external company for sorting.

Also, it should be installed 100% check when a part is wrong in a lot - so, no for the whole lots. Still, if they are a lot of failures/defects, then should be 100% check.

Top Bottom