How to Determine Run At Rate: Steel Coil Processing

J

Jim Green

Run At Rate

We are a Steel Coil Processing facility. We take large coils and trim the mill edge off of the sides. So a coil 36" inchs wide weighing 30,000 lbs. may be trimmed to 35.5 inches wide.

This is my question. How do you do a Run-at-Rate on this process? I am not familar with that term.

J

JRKH

Not familiar with the term either. Can you elaborate a bit on where you heard it? And in what context?

James

A

Al Dyer

Run at Rate is GM procedure GP-12, which is basically a production part run-off of XXX amount of parts that must have increased inspection requirements met before the sign-off.

Attachments

• gp-12.doc
    30.5 KB · Views: 384
J

Jim Green

It is part of our process to do 100% inspection of every coil that is slit. That is where I get confused with PPAP. It seems that PPAP is structured for multiple pieces. Where sampling is involved. We have a big steel coil. That is inspected from lead to tail. We don't take sample measurements of coils, we measure every coil that goes through the line. I don't know how this Run-at-rate can apply??? Need guidance.

F

Fran

Ford also has now "Run @ Rate" as a requirement for approving PPAP. It is a production trial. The purpose is to prove that your process produces parts with the quality required at the cycle time established. Usually, a small quantity of parts (in your case maybe only one coil) is produced with serial means, controls, operators, etc. at the cycle time foreseen. All controls included in the control plan are made. If everything is OK you can present the PPAP file to your customer with the results.
Basically, they want to avoid that you submit PPAP with parts made of prototype tooling or with any other condition that is not representative of series production.

S

Sam

DC-Ford-GM have their own totally different versions of run@rate.
Makes it tough when you do business with each OEM.:frust:

A

Atul Khandekar

Will this help?

Look at :https://Elsmar.com/pdf_files/GM-ts16949.doc
which says:
Run at Rate (GP-9), (GM1960)
- Required for all new parts; physical verification that the production process is capable of producing quality products at quoted rates.

This is what I found elsewhere:
RUN @ RATE (GP-9)
DEFINITION: Physical verification that the production process is capable of producing quality products at quoted production rates.

PURPOSE: To reduce risk of failure during start up and acceleration by performing a production Run @ Rate beforehand.

SCOPE: All new part numbers require a Run @ Rate, unless exempted by the Supplier Quality and Purchasing Directors of the procuring division

PROCESS:
* Conduct risk assessment.
* Determine type of Run @ Rate required:
- Supplier monitored
- Customer monitored
* Notify supplier to schedule the Run @ Rate.
* Complete Run @ Rate.
* Follow up and make required improvements.

Note: GP-9 (GM -1960) last revision date is 2/95.

A

Al Dyer

Atul.

I surely respect your opinion and posts, but early production contaiment for GM is GP-12, GP - 9 refers to GP-12:

Attachments

• gp-9full_424_27022000230717.doc
    106.5 KB · Views: 437
D

D.Scott

Run at rate is also part of the Part Submission Warrant sent with PPAP. This can give the customer an idea of your capacity on the process. They can base their lead time on your numbers.

In Jim's case, I would guess the run at rate should be expressed in coils per shift or feet per hr/shift (something signifficant to the job you are doing).

Just another viewpoint.

Dave

A

Andrews

If you have 6 or 7 processes or stages of operation before despatch to customer, what should be mentioned in the "run at rate" blank in PSW?
For e.g
if the cycle time of each stage is as follows
1 - 1000 nos /hr
2 - 300 nos /hr
3- 500 nos/hr
4-1000nos/hr
5- 600 nos/hr
6-200 nos/hr

Top Bottom