How to set Quality Objectives for Relevant Functions

clagare.dmfppi

Registered
The top management (or committee) will know what in particular, in an area they would want to measure and monitor from the business perspective.... where improvements can be made and where loss or wastage can be reduced., what changes are being faced and what new process / area needs objectives set.
It is perfectly fine to retain an objective measure at an achieved level. Objectives can be changed, objectives target can be changed or retained, new objectives can be added.... It is all driven by the business success factors and top management focus and outlook.
I know of a case when output demands increased and machinery became old and to meet the production committment, the top management set an objective of a reduced breakdown hours and provided resources with a clear direction of "Whatever it takes, make arrangements to minimize downtime and report on weekly basis". A new objective was set. This could be changed with change in the context.

Thanks much for this. :) My idea was that since they achieved it already, I suggested to make an improvement on their target, like instead of achieving 90%, make it 95%.

clagare.dmfppi

Registered
Another question about Quality objectives... A department did not meet their target, like 80% of quality score should be achieved. An auditor issued an NC under clause 8.5.1? I think it, it's alright that quality objectives is not met especially if there are uncontrollable issues. The nonconformity would come in if there's no Corrective Action plan being done. Am i correct on this ? any thought...

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
Another question about Quality objectives... A department did not meet their target, like 80% of quality score should be achieved. An auditor issued an NC under clause 8.5.1? I think it, it's alright that quality objectives is not met especially if there are uncontrollable issues. The nonconformity would come in if there's no Corrective Action plan being done. Am i correct on this ? any thought...
(Assuming your questions are against ISO9001/IATF16949 standard. Let me know if that is not the case.)

Right. The requirement is to do an analysis and prepare an action plan in case a target/objective is not met (as per clause 9.1.3).

But keep in mind, there is also a requirement of preparing an action plan in advance for meeting the target/objective achievement, prior to taking an objective/target (as per clause 6.2.2 of ISO9001). In absence of such an action plan (in advance), it is a nonconformity.

Top Bottom