Is there a requirement for Internal Audit Schedule to be Approved?

V

VivieH

Please can someone clarify whether there is a requirement for the internal audit schedule to be approved.

AndyN

Moved On
Re: Internal Audit Schedule

VivieH - if we are talking about a documented audit schedule, then your own document control procedure probably says that it should, since it's a document that's part of the quality management system. There's no specific requirement, in ISO 9001 for example, that says it must be approved, since there's no requirement to have a schedule or calendar of audits.

Why are you asking? Has someone challenged you over it?

V

VivieH

Hi, Andy,

Thank you for the response. Yes, I have been challenged. I take your points about not having to have a calendar etc. :thanx:

Regards

VivieH

D

David DeLong

Re: Internal Audit Schedule

As per TS 16949 8.2.24 states:

"Internal audits shall cover all quality management related processes, activities and shifts, and shall be scheduled according to an annual plan".

It does look like you must need a annual plan of some sort (probably a calendar basis) but no requirement for approval.

V

VivieH

Hi, David,

Thank you for the response. I am the Lead for Audit and I do have a plan however it is not approved ie: does not have a signature. The important aspects of AS9100B as are per ISO 9001:2000 is that an audit program shall be planned, taking into consideration the status and importance......

Regards

VivieH:thanx:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Hi, David,

Thank you for the response. I am the Lead for Audit and I do have a plan however it is not approved ie: does not have a signature. The important aspects of AS9100B as are per ISO 9001:2000 is that an audit program shall be planned, taking into consideration the status and importance......

Regards

If you have been given the responsibility and authority to carry out the audits, I don't necessarily see where someone's signiture is going to add value to the process. On the other hand, it seems prudent to take management input into consideration when setting the schedule. (i.e., I get many requests by managers to look at certain areas/processes.)

F

Frank T.

I am the Lead for Audit and I do have a plan however it is not approved ie: does not have a signature. The important aspects of AS9100B as are per ISO 9001:2000 is that an audit program shall be planned, taking into consideration the status and importance....

VivieH,

No were in AS9100B does it say you have to have an approved plan. It just states you shall conduct audits at planned intervals.....

It does state in bold italics that:

Detailed tools and techniques shall be developed such as checksheets, process flowcharts, or any similar method.....

And that:

The acceptability of the selected tools will be measured against the effectiveness of the internal audit process.....

Not even in AS9101C does it mention anything about an approved plan. It just asks if audits are conducted at (your) planned intervals, whatever works best for your company.

Just my :2cents:.

A

Aaron Lupo

VivieH

The responses you have received have been great. Just make sure you check your Internal Procedures to see if it states that the schedule needs to be approved.

AndyN

Moved On
Hi, David,

Regards

If you are the audit 'manager' (to me a 'Lead' means that you are the audit team leader, not the audit process owner - for clarification), then you've approved the plan, right? Do you feel compelled to sign off on it? What are you being asked to do, and why?

Incidently, you aren't required to have a calendar of audits. That's a myth and even though TS says you have to have an annual plan, it's not necessarily a whole calendar of audits...........

Randy

Super Moderator
Show me in ISO 19011:2002 where there is a requirement for a schedule.

All you'll find is references to schedules as a "should" and not a "shall" in Section 5.

The need for audit schedules will be detailed in the "Specification" or "Requirements" standards for the various management systems.

Therefore the answer coould be yes or it could be no.

Top Bottom