Is there a set standard on how to handle the version number of documents?

C

Catrina

Document Versioning

:bigwave: CEMIs there a set standard on how to handle the version number of documents? For example, when documents are in the draft stages, we use 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, etc. to denote the document version is currently in the draft stage. After approval, the versioning starts at 1.0 and increases in .5 increments.

So, a document can have versions 0.1, 0.2, 0.3. Then it gets approved. Now it's version 1.0. The document undergoes another revision. It is revised and approved. Now the document version is 1.5.

I'm not sure if there is a "set in stone" method to this, but any feedback is welcomed.

CEM
:confused:

E Wall

Just Me!
Trusted Information Resource
Not that I am aware of.

As far as I know this is up to the company setting up the system.

We use a cover form for routing draft versions for approval so we don't use a numbering format at all for that.

good luck! Eileen

R

Rick Goodson

My experience also has also been that it is company set standard.

I have seen other systems that use a letter and number combination (ie A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, etc.) where the letter is a major revision and the numerical increase is for items not affecting the process. A change from B4 to B5 would indicate a spelling correction or a change to a form, but nothing that affected the base process.

Regards,

Rick

J

JodiB

We use the system that Rick just described for our "drafts".

Once something is issued, it is Rev 0 and goes up 1,2,3, etc. no matter what kind of revision is made.

G

Graeme

I don't like inventing (or re-inventing) and then maintaining and remembering to use version numbering systems. :frust:

So, I just use the file save date of the document. The save date is hidden in the document anyway, so I just use the appropriate Word field to make it visible in the footer of the first page and let it go at that. Once the document is converted to a PDF file the displayed date is not going to change.

Everybody (including the registrar) seems to be happy with it, and it's one less thing I have to mess with.

Graeme

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
excellent idea

Graeme said:
So, I just use the file save date of the document. The save date is hidden in the document anyway, so I just use the appropriate Word field to make it visible in the footer of the first page and let it go at that. Once the document is converted to a PDF file the displayed date is not going to change.

Everybody (including the registrar) seems to be happy with it, and it's one less thing I have to mess with.

Graeme

Anybody else tried this method?

I like it.....very simple.

Graeme, one question...are you on a paperless system?

CarolX

D

db

Graeme said:
I don't like inventing (or re-inventing) and then maintaining and remembering to use version numbering systems. :frust:

Graeme

I have a client that also uses the same basic thing. It is also easy to confirm because all you have to do is go to the file directory and comare the document against the file information. You can also put a time field for drafts. It does work well (or at least it can).

J

James Gutherson

Yes this exactly what we use. Very easy. The difficult part is that we have a few spreadsheets that we use as well and it is much harder to get this information in to an excel footer. We just tend to go with a field that you have to update in these cases.

G

Graeme

the POWER of the SEARCH!

CarolX said:
Graeme, one question...are you on a paperless system?
CarolX
CarolX,

Wow -- just when my memory has turned to dust and become covered with cobwebs, someone searches The Cove and brings it all rushing back to life ... cool.gif You know, I had to go back to the original thread to see that it was I was talking about 18 months ago!

Anyway, to answer your question -- we are on as much of a paperless system as we can be within the bounds of economics and practicality. This is made possible because the the "staff" functions have desktop PC's and each technician has a laptop. However, the organization's internal network is totally isolated from the corporate network and the outside world. (The organization is an in-house electronics calibration lab.)

Things that are electronic:
  • The Quality Manual, Quality Policy, Vision, Goals
  • All QMS policies and procedures
  • All Excel sheets that are used as databases in the QMS
  • The organization's internal web site
  • New/revised calibration procedure documents
  • Calibration procedures that are part of the calibration ATE system
  • Documents (such as vendor's calibration certificates) that are scanned into the database
  • Documents, manuals and other reference material of external origin that was recieved in electronic form
Things that are paper:
  • Certain forms that have to be physically sent elsewhere, or have physical action taken. (Customer surveys, shipping manifests, receiving inspection forms and a few others.)
  • "Legacy" calibration procedures that the metrology engineer (me!) has not updated or revised yet
  • Reference items of external origin that are impractical or uneconomic to scan, such as service manuals for the equipment.
I probably missed a few in each category, but these are the main ones.

BTW (James G.), for Excel spreadsheets I put the current date in the footer. In cases where the spreadsheet is a database (which is a moving target because it changes) I also have one or two other date fields in the body. Every database sheet includes a statement that it is a single view of a dynamic database, and has the date of the view.

In some cases (such as the QP master list) I also put in the date the server was last updated. That is useful because then I can have an Excel formula to fill a field with the word "Updated!" if the file date is equal to or more recent than the last server update - which is a visual cue to the people when they look at that web page. (Yes, the spreadsheet gets saved as HTML and is on the web site, with hyperlinks to each document's PDF file.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
There is a Standard, available from American Society of Mechanical Engineers - Y14.35M - 1997 Revision of Engineering Drawings and Associated Documents

The Standard specifically addresses numbering systems for revisions. This Standard is equally applicable to any document, especially documents which are "controlled."

My point of view has always been, "Why reinvent the wheel if someone not only has done it, but keeps making improvements?"

Top Bottom