ISO 9001 Implementation in SMEs - What are the Possible Barriers?

J

jkg106

Hello, I am currently implementing ISO 9001 within my company (of less than 25 people) and wondered what barrires other people had ecome up against in implementing ISO 9001 in a small company? Thanks, Jo

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Re: ISO 9001 Implementation in SMEs

Welcome to the Cove.

Sometimes it is easier in a small company where people are used to working closely with each other, wearing more than one hat and there are less barriers to communication. Big or small, management commitment must be there to drive it forward.

Previous discussions on ISO for small Businesses

S

snappy

If you run across a consultant or book author or website selling complete sets of compliant procedures, RUN! This is the biggest problem with ISO 9000 implementation. Write your procedures to reflect how your processes operate; don't adopt procedures that regurgitate the requirements of the standard.

R

Rickser

If you run across a consultant or book author or website selling complete sets of compliant procedures, RUN! This is the biggest problem with ISO 9000 implementation. Write your procedures to reflect how your processes operate; don't adopt procedures that regurgitate the requirements of the standard.
Couldn't agree more. One size does not fit all. This forum has lots of info in various threads. Search and adapt what you find to your company; but make it fit your company.

S

snappy

Couldn't agree more. One size does not fit all. This forum has lots of info in various threads. Search and adapt what you find to your company; but make it fit your company.

I agree that one size does not fit all. A QMS based upon pre-written procedures that address the requirements (rather than organizational processes) does not fit any organization. It's bad quality, yet very common indeed.

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
Agree that management must be involved, but also must everyone else. Beware of handing down commandments. The best documents are

1)
"owned" by their users

2)
collaboratively written

3)
living documents (improved continuously)

4)
Useful. If you have a document that feel superfluous, it probably is and needs to be canned or heavily edited.

Except during that first few months of launch, ISO 9001 done right will make your job easier, not harder.

Randy

Super Moderator
The barriers? The answer is so easy I'm ashamed to say it...But then again, I have no shame.

It's the PEOPLE

We have met the enemy, and they are us!

lynfern

Starting to get Involved
Absolutely I agree with Randy. All the barriers are caused by PEOPLE, If we do everything in good way/condition/approach..., we must conquer ourself firstly.

We can follow as Juran's Trilogy: Quality Planning, Quality Control, Quality Improvement for implementation of QMS in an organization. During this, the Quality Communication is very important.

Smaller company, less personel, easier communication.

------
Barry
The barriers? The answer is so easy I'm ashamed to say it...But then again, I have no shame.

It's the PEOPLE

We have met the enemy, and they are us!

A

amit_rd

Well I would like to see it from a different opinion....

The real enemy is insecurity (we can't blame people for a natural instinct), the insecurity comes from reasons (not limited to) given below:

1) Lack of knowledge - What really this management system is all about
2) Past experiences - Previous failures make people insecure about implementing system
3) Audit - Auditors and Audits are projected like threats in almost every organization
4) Management's objectivity - Process failures in organizations are usually seen as failure of the associated people, which causes insecurity
5) No plan of individual benefits out of system implementation - A lose win situation always creates insecurity in longer run!!

Given those examples the solution ( and by the way its a proven solution that I am sharing here)

1) Training on fundamentals: Promotion of management principles their relative interpretation and most importantly relation ship between the principles - for example we can never achieve the customer focus without establishing a mutually beneficial supplier relationship - This brings the clarity of what management system really is and people start realizing that its not something that they don't know

2) Establishing a system that allows involvement of people to share what they practiced for a given process in past and what were the lessons - And letting the process evolve instead of defining it over a laptop and then forcing it on employees

3) Allowing people to be transparent and letting them put the gaps in their area on the table without any fear of criticism - And developing a sense of improvement and cross functional collaboration - No auditor can be better critic than US

4) Being realistic - Lets plan management system implementation in a phased way and let us allow the employees to slowly adapt to the system - And in no circumstances should we criticize the employees for process failures - The management's focus should be shifted to making process fool proof (will not happen overnight)

5) Demonstrate individual benefits out of management system: Few examples : How an economical benefit out of QMS can make a difference in increments or how a systematic process for performance review eliminates the need of wondering how one is performing and whether the bosses are happy or not

AND last but not least as the system coordinator one has to have true faith on the system........................ Sorry for writing too much and best of luck for the implementation.

Top Bottom