ISO 9001 Sanctioned Interpretations and FAQs

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
In the IATF 16949 world, there are sanctioned interpretations and frequently asked questions (relating to interpretation of the clauses of the standard) which are available on the internet (www.iatfglobaloversight.org).

Our company is 9001 registered, and although many of the SI's and FAQ's apply to the 9001 standard (no surprise, as one is derived at least in part from the other) not all of them are.

Is there a location to find SI's and FAQ's (relating strictly to ISO 9001)?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Official ISO Interpretations - A Formal Process for ISO9001 Interpretation Requests

ISO 9001 Auditing Practices Group

Interpretations of ISO 9001
ISO provides an interpretations service for its member bodies, to resolve any identified ambiguities in the standard.

Regrettably this is NOT a service that is available for individual users of the standard. If you, as a user, have a query on the standard you should contact your national standards body or liaison organization in the first instance, to seek advice on resolving it.

As it is an official process, that involves developing consensus among the members of ISO/TC 176/SC 2 to agree on any proposed interpretation, a quick response cannot be expected.

The listing of formally approved interpretations is available to download.

Member bodies should refer to the Guidance on the interpretations process and apply for an interpretation using The "Request for an Interpretation" form.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Thanks Sidney. Appreciate the detailed feedback. Even though the answer wasn't quite what I was hoping for, at least I better understand the process (should I ever be in the position to question the interpretation of a clause)

Big Jim

Admin
I believe that ISO 9002:2016 somewhat fits that role. It provides insight on setting up an ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System. It is not strictly a set of sanctioned interpretations, but it was written by TC-176 and fills a similar role.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Is there a location to find SI's and FAQ's (relating strictly to ISO 9001)?
I forgot to link the FAQ document.

Guidance on implementing ISO 9001:2015
The following have been prepared by ISO/TC 176/SC2 to inform and assist your organization in implementing ISO 9001:2015:

Attachments

• ISO9001_2015_Frequently_Asked_Questions[1].docx
    574.4 KB · Views: 198
Top Bottom