Looking for new Quality Objectives (ISO 9001)

C

Chemist75

Hello

I'm the new quality assurance coordinator ISO 9001:2008 for my company and I look for new quality objectives.

Here our process and the objectives

Direction : Normalized EBITDA
Sales : product sales per year MT
Conception : profitability of research (new product last 5 years)
Production : Global Yield% / batch per day
Maintenance : respect the maintenance schedule
Quality Assurance : Number of customer complaints in a year/MT sales

I wonder if the company profit, the number of sales and production efficiency are quality objectives

Thank you

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Look for new quality objectives (ISO 9001)

An objective can be anything that the organization's stakeholders are very interested in.

You must describe it in a manner (expressed in variables) so that it can be actually measured.

Hope this helps.

Stijloor.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

Hello

I'm the new quality assurance coordinator ISO 9001:2008 for my company and I look for new quality objectives.

Here our process and the objectives

Direction : Normalized EBITDA
Sales : product sales per year MT
Conception : profitability of research (new product last 5 years)
Production : Global Yield% / batch per day
Maintenance : respect the maintenance schedule
Quality Assurance : Number of customer complaints in a year/MT sales

I wonder if the company profit, the number of sales and production efficiency are quality objectives

Thank you

Those appear to me as metrics more than quality objectives.
Quality objectives should be clearly defined with a statement, for example: increasing the volume of selling of XXX product of 10% with respect to the previous fiscal year within the last quarter of 2012. Generally speaking, quality objectives are strictly linked with the company strategy and its business plan.
However, I do not see anything about customer related, but I am not questioning or criticize about them
Hope other Covers can contribute.
Hope this helps and good luck for your new job assignment:bigwave:

Last edited:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

An objective can be anything that the organization's stakeholders are very interested in.
Over the years, we've had MANY lively discussions on what constitutes a QUALITY objective. Many people believe that ANY business related objective could be deemed a quality objective. I strongly oppose that view and I expressed why critical business objectives as sales and profits goals can work AGAINST product quality and customer satisfaction. One of the posts where I mentioned the conflict is this one.

Not all business objectives are quality objectives. Actually, some business objectives can detract from quality, as mentioned above. The organization management has to find the proper balance when objectives might conflict.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Over the years, we've had MANY lively discussions on what constitutes a QUALITY objective. Many people believe that ANY business related objective could be deemed a quality objective. I strongly oppose that view and I expressed why critical business objectives as sales and profits goals can work AGAINST product quality and customer satisfaction. One of the posts where I mentioned the conflict is this one.

Not all business objectives are quality objectives. Actually, some business objectives can detract from quality, as mentioned above. The organization management has to find the proper balance when objectives might conflict.

No problem here, but IMHO, the establishment of objectives has been made so complicated, bureaucratic, and political, that it has lost its true meaning. Similar to beating the dead horse: "Process Approach." ;)

I rest my case. :agree1:

Stijloor.

Randy

Super Moderator

How about this?

Objective - Identify new quality objective for 2012

Plan - Brainstorming, using the Cove, revisiting past objectives....Just come up with something to qualify as a plan

Measurement - Documentation of new objective

C

Chemist75

Thank you all

Randy : it sounds like a good idea!
Sidney : I read this post yesterday and I agree with you..that's why I seek for new quality objective.
Stijloor : I think you also right

anyone has other ideas?

Big Jim

Admin
Quality objectives really come to bear in many requirements of the standard. The most obvious ones are 4.1, 5.3, 5.4, 8.2.3, and 8.4.

4.1 says you need to need to determine how to monitor and measure your processes.

5.3 says you quality policy needs to provide a framework for your quality objectives.

5.4 says you need to have them, they need to be measurable, and that they need to be established a relevant levels and functions (processes?) within the organization.

8.2.3 says that you need to monitor and measure your processes.

8.4 provides a good clue as to what those topics could be. 8.4 says you need to determine, collect, and analyze data the tells you the health of your quality management system. It goes further and says that this analysis of data needs to be performed for customer satisfaction, product quality, process performance, and supplier performance.

With a little bit of wisdom, your quality objectives can provide triple duty and fulfill all of these requirements, quality objectives, KPI (process monitoring), and analysis of data.

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Because quality objectives are a part of the improvement process, why not start by looking at what you are not very good at? Identify the weaknesses in your processes, measure current performance, analyse why you are weak in the area, set a realistic target for improvement, develop a strategy to get to the target and measure performance.

Top Bottom