Management Review - How elaborate should Management Review be?

Big Jim

Admin
Management review may be the most valuable tool in the ISO tool box and sadly it is usually greatly under utilized.

Just a little shift in attitude can make a big difference.

If the approach is you are doing it because it is a requirement and you are doing it just to pass an audit your wasting a very valuable resource.

Instead, remember that you are bringing the best and brightest of the company together. There is usually a wide variance in the level of knowledge and awareness of each of the topics discussed. The purpose of the gathering and the discussions is to raise the awareness of the entire group. Minimum topics are are the inputs specified in the standard.

When you complete the inputs and with the resulting heightened awareness of all of the members you have a much clearer idea of just where the company is. Now that you have a clearer idea of where you are, you are prepared to determine where you want to go from there which is the outputs or action items from management review.

All of this will result in a much better managed company.

Waste this opportunity if you wish, or take advantage of becoming a much more effective company.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Management review may be the most valuable tool in the ISO tool box and sadly it is usually greatly under utilized.

Just a little shift in attitude can make a big difference.

If the approach is you are doing it because it is a requirement and you are doing it just to pass an audit your wasting a very valuable resource.

Instead, remember that you are bringing the best and brightest of the company together. There is usually a wide variance in the level of knowledge and awareness of each of the topics discussed. The purpose of the gathering and the discussions is to raise the awareness of the entire group. Minimum topics are are the inputs specified in the standard.

When you complete the inputs and with the resulting heightened awareness of all of the members you have a much clearer idea of just where the company is. Now that you have a clearer idea of where you are, you are prepared to determine where you want to go from there which is the outputs or action items from management review.

All of this will result in a much better managed company.

Waste this opportunity if you wish, or take advantage of becoming a much more effective company.

A lot of it is size dependent. Big company with bureaucracy you're right. Small company where management is more involved day to day it can be more of an excersize. What I have found in our 20 person organization is most of it is repetitive.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
While much of the exercise IS repetitive, that is largely due to the scripted nature of the requirements.

And if you are fortunate enough to work a group of with exemplary people, where each one of them always looks for ways to improve the organization, and they all do everything that is expected of them all the time and there is no need to coach or cajole them, then please tell me where to send my resume.

I work for organizations of 20 - 60 people, and they're all average humans, which means more than half of them are .... Well, George Carlin summed it up appropriately.

Big Jim

Admin
A lot of it is size dependent. Big company with bureaucracy you're right. Small company where management is more involved day to day it can be more of an excersize. What I have found in our 20 person organization is most of it is repetitive.

I have observed huge improvements from even small companies that practice this. YMMV, especially if you don't catch the vision.

jiligan

Involved In Discussions
I am prepping for management review per 13485:2016 and I am curious to know what exactly would the auditor need to see for these requirements in Management review:
c. Reporting to regulatory authorities
e. Monitoring and measurement of processes
f. Monitoring and measurement of product

Thanks!

Top Bottom