New to AS9100 - Clause 7.5.3 - Do you have to identify each part produced

M

miakoda

When referring to 7.5.3 do you have to identify each part produced by some type of unique number? For example, we manufacture plastic parts and our customers do not want stickers on the parts, but we only do random sampling so if we check the first part and then the last part and the last part is bad you have no referance on the parts to their sequential number so you have to go back and check every part. I am TRYING to convince Upper Management that we need to be able to identify each individual part but I am having a hard time doing so. Any suggestions on how to get my point across better?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Re: New to AS9100

The key words in 9100 are
[FONT=Arial,BoldItalic][FONT=Arial,BoldItalic]According to the level of traceability required by contract, regulatory, or other established requirement [/FONT][/FONT]
Not all aerospace parts have serial numbers, but most would have, at least, a batch or code number.

F

Flaps40

They don't want sticker, so you can replace with something else...marker paint, or rubber stamp, etc etc that make your parts traceable. 5W1H.

T

tyker

On the products I'm responsible for, my customers specify precisely how the product is to be identified and I can't add anything extra even if I wanted to. Consequently, in some cases the parts don't even carry a batch number. If the customer doesn't maintain some sort of traceability from the product back to my despatch paperwork then the trail is lost. But that's legal for my product so its the customer's risk.

Questions you need to answer are:

Are there any regulatory requirements relating to the identification/traceability of your parts? If so - meet them.

If not, does your customer specify any identification/traceability requirements? If so meet them.

If not, what does your organization think would be good practice bearing in mind the risks associated with the product and its intended use?

AS9100 doesn't specify the level of traceability required and a simple "serial number everything" answer may appropriate or may be too prescriptive.

Top Bottom