Quality Improvement in Low Volume Manufacturing

AlanC

Involved In Discussions
Within such a system where SPC can't be applied, biggest batches are 5 or 10 offs with mulitple set ups and across several shifts would you introduce data recording. Even on such small batches is there a quality benefit to get the operators, in what is often an OC environment record their results rather than just pass on their work. If the customer requires data recoding then ok, but from a quality improvement activity is data recoding of any use to create process ownership. Ideas and thoughts please as the best ideas for improvement practice

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Quality in Low Volume Manufacture

I hate answering with "Depends" however I can ask a couple of questions that may help you answer the questions:

1. Are you having quality issues with parts now?
2. Would the expense of adding the inspection checks be worth the cost of implementing the checks?
3. Would the data collected be used to improve processes (including other processes, not just the one you are collecting data for) and is this data worth the cost of getting?

From a Quality point of view (in my perspective), more data is ALWAYS better, I can sort out the data I don't want or care about but I cannot add data I don't have. However I do have to balance this with reality and look at the cost of getting said data vs. the benefit of having it.

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few

Within such a system where SPC can't be applied, biggest batches are 5 or 10 offs with mulitple set ups and across several shifts would you introduce data recording. Even on such small batches is there a quality benefit to get the operators, in what is often an OC environment record their results rather than just pass on their work. If the customer requires data recoding then ok, but from a quality improvement activity is data recoding of any use to create process ownership. Ideas and thoughts please as the best ideas for improvement practice

Sure, SPC is possible. Short-run SPC:

Small Lot SPC (Statistical Process Control)

AlanC

Involved In Discussions

We don't have any particular issues related to Cp but occasional error by operators on machining. From a psychological point of view is there any substance in asking for the operator to write down there result,and ( hence) reduce the likelihood of passing known work on to the next process.
The issue is always from a stance prod don't want to ( but it's done in another plant so there is pressure even though their products are different) because of time and actually where do they record it. The danger here is that this data is actually not used anywhere so becomes meaningless because we don't have supporting systems. Therefore it may fall down because the info is not reported on unless it's an audit check of first part checks.
Most of our products require manual intervention, manual lathes, setting or adjustments during process coupled with small batches so I don't see me getting benefit from SPC, with again support functions required but mainly because this is not really the problem.
I agree with your point about data but do you think asking them to record it of long term benefit , it probably needs supporting elements to explain to the operators. But prod will resist as a waste of time.

Top Bottom