Self Calibration of Dimensional Measuring Tools

R

rizy951

I have calibrated some gauge blocks/presetting gauge from a Laboratory, so now using these blocks whether I can calibrate my own tools (vernier, micrometers etc) or not. As I have no direct tracebility standard but the Laboratory where I have calibrated these block is traceble

BradM

Leader
Admin
Hello! Welcome to the forum!

I am not sure if I totally understand the question.:) You have a set of gauge blocks that you do not send out for periodic calibration-working standards. You verify these gauge blocks in-house with a higher order set of standards that are sent out for calibration-secondary standards. You use the secondary standards to verify instruments in your facility. Is that accurate?

As long as your secondary standards maintain traceability, then technically the instruments verified downstream from them also have traceability. Also important would be to assure you have adequately accounted for the collective uncertainties with the working standards and the in-house instruments that are being verified. You should assure adequate accuracy (or better, uncertainty) ratios are in-place.

T

trainerbob

As long as your lab is certified(ISO17025) than yes you can certainly use the gauge blocks calibrated by them as the standard to work with in your organization because you can trace them back to a known certification.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I agree that the certified laboratory's calibration of the gage blocks should suffice for using these blocks to calibrate hand held instruments in-house.

As a customer you should be able to get a copy of something from the laboratory that fulfills a traceability requirement; in most cases that will simply be a certificate of calibration.

Top Bottom