Standard work, standardized work instruction & work instruction: What are differences

morteza

Trusted Information Resource
Hi all

In IATF 16949, there are some terms which I can not understand and differentiate among them.

can some one explain me what are the following items and what are their differences:

1) standard work (used in clause 8.3.5.2 j))

2) standardized work documents (used in clause 8.5.1.2)

3) standardized work instruction (used in clause 8.5.6.1.1)

4) work instruction (used in clause 8.3.5.2 j))

Thanks all

B

bigqman

Re: Standard work, standardized work instruction & work instruction: what are differe

I am not experienced with 16949, but do know that standardized work is a specific methodology. Standardized work is not just a work instruction document – it’s created by process participants, based on customer requirements provided by management. Check out this blog on specifics of word usage http://www.leanblog.org/2008/05/standard-vs-standardized/

Kronos147

Re: Standard work, standardized work instruction & work instruction: what are differe

I would say it depends on what the organization states in their Control of Documented Information procedure. As long as there is a connection between the requirement and your system, it conforms, IMHO.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Standard work, standardized work instruction & work instruction: What are differe

Hi all

In IATF 16949, there are some terms which I can not understand and differentiate among them.

can some one explain me what are the following items and what are their differences:

Thanks all

This demonstrates that the IATF has not been very consistent with their terminology in IATF 16949:2016.

A work instruction is a document that supports a person performing tasks to be:
Safe
Effective
Efficient

That's all folks!

F

filen

Re: Standard work, standardized work instruction & work instruction: What are differe

Hi all

Thanks all

1) & 4)
Those documents shall be written in a manner that enables verification.
For example if you perform a layered audit, simple questions with yes/no to verify that the process is followed.

2)
Documents that handle the process in general, for example that you shall use stated safety equipment, follow the set-up instructions, how to measure and so on.

3)
Work instructions is more specified, for example instructions that is needed for a specific part number.

morteza

1) & 4)
Those documents shall be written in a manner that enables verification.
For example if you perform a layered audit, simple questions with yes/no to verify that the process is followed.

2)
Documents that handle the process in general, for example that you shall use stated safety equipment, follow the set-up instructions, how to measure and so on.

3)
Work instructions is more specified, for example instructions that is needed for a specific part number.

Hi filen

I agree with Stijloor that IATF 16949 is not consistent in terminology. I think all should be the same. But what bother me is that in clause 8.3.5.2 (manufacturing process design output) IATF states that one of the process design output is standard work and work instruction. So, this two items should be different things which I can not understand their differences.

friends helps on explaining their differences would be appreciated.

F

filen

All of them gives the user/operator guidance, information and instruction to perform the job.

Makes it easier to see if the process performance is going well, and audits could be easy to prepare.

Standard work (where, why)
It is similar to the standardize work, contains check rules,products approval procedure or any tasks with company’s standard process.

Standardized work (who, what, when)
It further clarifies the standard work. Details which must be followed include takt time, critical path, items critical to quality, operation methods, etc.

Work instruction (how)
is the process that is to be performed, for example an assembly instruction.

For an example, the operator needs instruction to perform a set-up of a job.
And the auditor could check this with one question, is the job performed according to the standardized work for set-up - ok/nok?
(ofc you need to see/know the standard, and can easily check if the steps is followed or not)

Standard work
A standard framework for all manufacturing departments is that they must follow the rule of preparing jobs in advance (SMED)

Standardized work
Department A's list (dep. B could have an other order)
  1. Prepare set-up
    - Pick next job according to the planned job list
    - Place work order, drawings, tools and material to "preparing area"
  2. Perform setup
    - Report start of setup in ERP-system
    - Remove prev. job
    - Change tools
    - Put in front material
    - Start producing
    - Measure
    - Adjust if needed
    - Remove all scrapped parts
    - Report end of setup in ERP-system incl. amount of scrapped parts

Work instruction
Specific instruction for a part, including information about tools to use, in which order to be followed, measurement points...

Top Bottom