Starting a new Calibration and Repair Laboratory

K

kd818

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum. I have been reading some of the posts here and you guys are wonderful in helping and providing great information. Hence, I have decided to post my questions here for your advice.

I have been working in the electronics and calibration field as a tech for more than 10 years. I now have decided that it's time for me to start my own business. However, I have not been an entrepreneur, therefore, don’t really know where to start my new calibration and repair business. Would the entrepreneur and business owners in this forum please kindly help me with my questions?
I will start small first. The lab will specialize in hand tools, power tools, temperature, mechanical and dimensional tools for now. I am planning to expand to medical devices/equipment down the road. My questions are:

1. Can I start the business without ISO 17025 accreditation first
  2. Providing that clients do not need ISO 17025, how long can I take to get ISO 17025 accredited?
  3. How do I go about to get new clients?
  4. What kind of calibration database/software that has multi-functionalities (use for calibration, track due dates, user-friendly) that I can purchase and use for a very long time. I do want to have to replace when my lab capabilities have expanded.
  5. What are the basic necessities that I need, beside the calibration equipment? I am on a tight budget and just want to purchase what are needed at first to get the lab running.
Thank you so much for your help in advance. I really appreciate your time in helping me.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: Starting a new Calibration and Repair Lab - Please Help

Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

Please see the linked related threads at the bottom of this page - the existing discussions and attachments may help you. I also did a Google search - and look at all the hits I found! :D

I knew a family owned lab that, for a long time said they were "compliant to" but they made no promise of certificate. Since then they have gone through the expense of getting accredited. If/until you want to, I would recommend using 17025 as a guide for the management system. That way, if a customer comes to visit you would be ready.

A

arios

Re: Starting a new Calibration and Repair Lab - Please Help

About getting new clients, relationships could help a lot. If your community has a chamber of commerce you could join them so they can get to know you. Also visit professional societies' chapters within your area. Investigate costs of alike services as well.

Even if you don't implement ISO 13485 yet for Medical devices, learn more about this standard and about the FDA's QSR so you are more familiar with that sector.

K

kd818

Thanks everyone for your inputs. They were greatly appreciated. I've read all the posts that are related to my questions.

T

tomvehoski

Many questions....

What is your location and target market? If you are targeting automotive suppliers, it is going to be tough without 17025.

What is your competition? If there are 10 other calibration labs in town, what benefit as #11 can you give to potential customers?

Is your potential customer base expanding, stable or shrinking in your area?

Can you target any previous clients, or do you have a no compete of some type?

Starting any business that relies on customers in the manufacturing in my area (Michigan) would give me serious doubts. The businesses that have survived overseas and southern outsourcing, plus survived the economic collapse probably are already aligned with entrenched labs. To me, calibration is around #995 of 1000 things I have to worry about, so as long as my existing supplier takes care of things I really don't see a need to check out anyone new.

D

dv8shane

What kind of calibration database/software that has multi-functionalities (use for calibration, track due dates, user-friendly) that I can purchase and use for a very long time. I do want to have to replace when my lab capabilities have expanded.

This is probably one of the most important and possibly single most expensive investments you should make. Long term stability and security of the data base information will be key and compliance to 17025 is a must for your future plans therefore the software must be 17025 compliant. I suggest starting with a well known company, and check them out on the forum. I learned the hard way when the company I purchased from went out of business and there was no real support. I suggest purchasing a single license package with the option to add users at a later date.

P

pcsmith

We use IndySoft Gage Insite and it is a great database and you can expand as you grow (as I'm typing this, I just received another user license from IndySoft!). If you talk to them, they'll help you with what you need.
Whatever database you utilize, even if it's as 'crude' as Excel Spreadsheets and Access Database, make sure you backup everything to another server/drive.

Top Bottom