Statistically Comparing Technician Techniques

N

NCYankee

Is there a good way to compare two technicians measurements against each other?

The situation I have is this: I have one technician with whom management is not convinced in her measurement techniques. Right now, as a QE, mgmt. is making me go back in behind her and measure the same part again. The big problems here are that we're measuring an already machined die cast transmission main case and we're using a Romer arm to lay it out. I really have many other things I could be doing rather than going in behind a technician and remeasuring.

Is there some mathematical way to compare her measurements vs. my measurements, and maybe against the drawing specifications? Thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Comparing technician techniques - statistically

The situation I have is this: I have one technician with whom management is not convinced in her measurement techniques. Right now, as a QE, mgmt. is making me go back in behind her and measure the same part again. The big problems here are that we're measuring an already machined die cast transmission main case and we're using a Romer arm to lay it out. I really have many other things I could be doing rather than going in behind a technician and remeasuring.

Is there some mathematical way to compare her measurements vs. my measurements, and maybe against the drawing specifications? Thanks in advance.

Hello NCYankee,

Welcome to The Cove Forums! :bigwave: :bigwave:

This appears more like a competency issue. Is there evidence that this person is indeed competent to perform the required tasks?

In addition, you may want to perform a Gage R&R. Search this Forum for applicable examples.

Stijloor.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Are you familiar with the general concept of Measurement System Analysis (MSA) and GR&R (Gauge Repeatability and Reproducibility)? It's what you're looking for. Do a search of the Cove--there's lots of information on the subject here. You may also want to avail yourself of a copy of the AIAG MSA manual, which details the generally-accepted procedures for conducting measurement system studies.

N

NCYankee

Thank you both, Stijloor & Mr. Wynne. I am familiar with MSAs and GR&R. If I have to do it using one of the previously mentioned methods, I will. However, I was hoping there was something I could use with the data we already have in hand: Same piece, same dimensions checked, but only two persons, not the three people usually done by MSA & GR&R.

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource

However, I was hoping there was something I could use with the data we already have in hand: Same piece, same dimensions checked, but only two persons, not the three people usually done by MSA & GR&R.
Hi NCYankee,

By all means - use the data you have on hand. Most of my customers who request a GR&R only require 2 operators.

N

NCYankee

Thanks CarolX. I'm presently searching for the GR&R & MSA stuff as previously suggested.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Thank you both, Stijloor & Mr. Wynne. I am familiar with MSAs and GR&R. If I have to do it using one of the previously mentioned methods, I will. However, I was hoping there was something I could use with the data we already have in hand: Same piece, same dimensions checked, but only two persons, not the three people usually done by MSA & GR&R.
You can do GR&R for two operators, and use existing data, so long as you can compare the results for both operators measuring the same part each time. If you don't want to do a new study (which I recommend), you can simply chart the data you already have to compare the measurement results of the two operators. This will probably just tell you what you already know, however. You really should compare the operators' results measuring the same parts, however.

N

NCYankee

We are measuring the same parts. Thanks again Mr. Wynne.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

We are measuring the same parts. Thanks again Mr. Wynne.
You're welcome. I just want to be clear about what's meant by "same parts." I mean that you have some number of parts x, and operator A measures x1, and then operator B measures the same feature on x1, and so on. Each operator measures the identical part and feature.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator

Hello NCYankee,

Welcome to The Cove Forums! :bigwave: :bigwave:

This appears more like a competency issue. Is there evidence that this person is indeed competent to perform the required tasks?

In addition, you may want to perform a Gage R&R. Search this Forum for applicable examples.

Stijloor.
ahem - until there is data showing that 1. this operator's results are statistically & practically different from the other(s) and 2. that her measurements are the least accurate you - and the OP's management have no basis for assuming there is anything wrong with her.

this requires an MSA

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S How to Statistically Prove 2 Dimensions are Related Using Minitab Software 18
F Sample Size to get Statistically Valid Data Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 6
S Statistically valid number of biopsy devices should be tested US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
D Best Minitab Tool to determine a Statistically Significant Trend Using Minitab Software 5
P Sterile Packaging Validation - FDA Requirements for Statistically Valid Tests 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
K Statistically Valid Audit Sample for Management System Audits? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
F How to statistically determine the maximum performance life of a chemical Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S Statistically valid method for multiple raw material sampling Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
H How to Select a Statistically Valid Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
H Process that is Not Stable vs. Not Statistically Capable - Differences Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
J Demonstrate Receiving Inspection Sampling Method is Statistically Adequate Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
B Statistically Sound Data Sampling Technique for Internal Audits Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
S Getting started with statistically based process improvement The Reading Room 12
M Statistically Toleranced Drawing Feature Dimensions - Target Value and Range Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
L How to Monitor Corrective Actions - Statistically Monitoring Corrective Action Nonconformance and Corrective Action 34
G Pp and Ppk indices - Is it statistically possible to have a Ppk greater than Pp? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 16
M Auditing Statistically - A statistical approach to sample sizes General Auditing Discussions 11
J Statistically Determining how many Tests to conduct. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
J Statistically Valid Sample Sizes For SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
D Comparing inline Conductivity instrument with offline test results General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B New to ISO 14971. Comparing to MIL-STD-882 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
P Comparing Two Test Variables Using Attribute Data Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
S Equivalency study - Comparing 2 similar equipments Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
E Comparing process parameters on non-normal batches Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
S Comparing measurement results for a part from two ring gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Statistical Methods for comparing test and reference product equivalence for quality attributes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
O Software for comparing text of PDF files Contract Review Process 2
M Comparing data from destructive testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
A Demonstration of Equivalence - Need for comparing biological characteristics for an SamD EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G Comparing Gauge Blocks - Translating the calibration between the master set and the QA set General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
V Statistical basis and justification while comparing / changing sampling plans Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
N Does FDA allow comparing with the competitors Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
L Procedure for Comparing the Monitor Reading with Laboratory Result Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S Looking for a checklist comparing ISO 13485:2016 and 21 CFR Part 820 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
M Comparing the MMOG (v3 or v4) with ISO / TS16949 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
A Comparing US/FDA Drug Regulations against US/FDA Device Regulations US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
E Correct Statistical Test comparing 2 Groups Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
R Comparing Laboratory Scope of Accreditation against internal equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Comparing Two Independent Group Observations - 95% Confidence Intervals Overlap Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
D Comparing the ISO 9001:2008 standard to ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
S Comparing Quality System Software Features Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 18
C Comparing Two Test Methods - Acceptable Difference(s)? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M pH Calibration - Comparing Electrical and CRM Methods General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
I Six Sigma comparing to other National and International Models Six Sigma 6
A Comparing Effect of Process Parameters on Equipment Performance during Start Ups Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
P Acceptable Adjusted R Squared Value Comparing 2 Measurement Devices in Minitab Using Minitab Software 3
C Comparing PPM Year over Year - Determining the PPM decrease from 2009 to 2010 Benchmarking 10
M z Test vs. F Test - The most appropriate for comparing the Variances Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
T Comparing Two Measurement Systems in terms of Accuracy and Capability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
R Comparing the Accuracy of Analog vs. Digital Multimeter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6