Supplier Quality Management System (QMS) Audit - Formal Documented QMS does not exist

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: Supplier Quality Management System (QMS) Audit - Formal Documented QMS does not e

We consciously use the term 'evaluation' rather than 'audit' for prospective suppliers. It's more of evaluating the capability of the Supplier fraternity to raise the bar to expected level.
Sometimes, we enjoy cost advantage in case of such 'up-gradable' Suppliers.
Obviously, this is a "first look" case. The supplier must have something worthwhile going for it or the prospective buyer would [should!] not go to the expense of assigning an in-depth audit or evaluation of the supplier.

It depends on what your product is and who the supplier is ? If this is one of the many suppliers in that commodity, search another one but if it is like a monopolistic supplier and you have no alternative but to take this supplier onboard, work with them for developing the qms.
I'd go a step further than this and let the depth of the evaluation hinge on the criticality of the product to the purchaser's requirements. (If I'm buying steel bars from a distributor, I'm primarily concerned that he keeps the lots (heats) from the mill identified and separate for traceability - I don't really care about his presence or absence of a written quality manual or his dedication to continual improvement (as long as there is no deterioration of current status.)

Normally, in my machining business, I would buy direct from a mill for ferrous or non-ferrous material, but, for short runs, I had several distributors to supply 10 or 20 bars of stock. The mills, of course, maintained pristine records of everything, but all I wanted from a distributor was assurance he kept the mill identification with the stock, so I could always go back to the mill to check traceability. Many such distributors did not have the type of documented QMS one would expect from an organization trying to be compliant to an international Standard.

Similarly, when I outsourced a job of sawing bar stock to 3 inch lengths for hopper feeding into a hydromat rather than slow the cycle time by having the hydromat do the cut-off, I was able to get the job done at a mom & pop machine job shop with no written QMS at less than half the price of a fully registered ISO 9001 shop. One of my operators went over the mom & pop machine setup and I created an SPC control sheet for the supplier to follow to assure consistent results. The mom & pop were so pleased with how much more efficiently they ran with just the tips from my operator and the assurance of the SPC routine that they signed up for courses from our ASQ Section and became fully compliant to an ISO QMS Standard within two years, WITHOUT any prodding on our part. - We just said before giving them the job,
"This is the way WE do this; would you agree to follow this routine for running our job?"

You also need to review the requirements flown-down to your organization from your customer. They may have requirements for sub-tier suppliers that you may need to take into consideration. Often you may be required to use only sub-tier suppliers they have approved. If this is the case you will need to get your customer to approve them as a source, if not already approved by them.
Yep. This can be the deal breaker. Sometimes the top dog in a supply chain can impose requirements which must be rigidly followed or enforced by the various links in the chain. Often, the profits involved do not justify alienating the head of the supply chain by asking for exceptions to the rules.

T

TamTom

Re: Supplier Quality Management System (QMS) Audit - Formal Documented QMS does not e

Hello,

First joshubob, I don't agree with some comments here, that doing business with a supplier having no ISO certificate is not "common" (missing a better word, sorry).
So go ahead with your plan.

Then it depends on what time you have, if you need a part or a service soon, there you can give the spplier the order and audit him, during he is producing your part. This could help you to get a good quality and you see the "real" processes, than you can ask the supplier how he secure these quality in future.

Iso 9001 certifcate is not only a question of mangement, sometimes it is one of money and the size of the factory. We have a supplier, we have from time to time painting jobs for, his core business is the repair painting of cars, he didn't want to have certifacte. And he has the choice to be a supplier of us or not, we need him, not he us. But he never make a mistake, Quality is perfect!!!

So check him, get an impression and make your desicion.

TamTom

J

johnny xu

Hello,

First joshubob, I don't agree with some comments here, that doing business with a supplier having no ISO certificate is not "common" (missing a better word, sorry).
So go ahead with your plan.

Then it depends on what time you have, if you need a part or a service soon, there you can give the spplier the order and audit him, during he is producing your part. This could help you to get a good quality and you see the "real" processes, than you can ask the supplier how he secure these quality in future.

Iso 9001 certifcate is not only a question of mangement, sometimes it is one of money and the size of the factory. We have a supplier, we have from time to time painting jobs for, his core business is the repair painting of cars, he didn't want to have certifacte. And he has the choice to be a supplier of us or not, we need him, not he us. But he never make a mistake, Quality is perfect!!!

So check him, get an impression and make your desicion.

TamTom

Actually , there exit several suppliers without ISO Certification in your supplier chain.

That’s good quality. I agree with you :agree:

M

mortby

To me, supply chain auditing is a risk mitgation activity, or a cost reduction activity.

If you have a supplier that is delivering parts and you are able to (and financially happy to) 100% check everything that they have done and throw away (or give back) anything that is wrong then there is no need to audit them and check their processes. In other words, if you are prepared to shoulder the quality burden then you don't need to control your supply chain, you simply state that all product conformity requirements will be managed on receipt.

I my experience this is very rarely the case. Almost always, we are not able to check something, or we simply can't afford the cost or impact on timescales of this. We want the ability to go back to a supplier if they get it wrong.

So then we do a risk assessment that looks at the chances of the supplier getting it wrong and the chances of us not finding it on receipt. We can mitigate some of those risks by going out to audit - we check their processes and the controls they have in place to make sure that we get what we asked for.

So the question is - what are you asking for?
You're looking to build confidence that your supplier's processes aren't going to let you down, so work out what you need him to be able to achieve and then go and see if he's able to do that.

J

johnny xu

To me, supply chain auditing is a risk mitgation activity, or a cost reduction activity.

If you have a supplier that is delivering parts and you are able to (and financially happy to) 100% check everything that they have done and throw away (or give back) anything that is wrong then there is no need to audit them and check their processes. In other words, if you are prepared to shoulder the quality burden then you don't need to control your supply chain, you simply state that all product conformity requirements will be managed on receipt.

I my experience this is very rarely the case. Almost always, we are not able to check something, or we simply can't afford the cost or impact on timescales of this. We want the ability to go back to a supplier if they get it wrong.

So then we do a risk assessment that looks at the chances of the supplier getting it wrong and the chances of us not finding it on receipt. We can mitigate some of those risks by going out to audit - we check their processes and the controls they have in place to make sure that we get what we asked for.

So the question is - what are you asking for?
You're looking to build confidence that your supplier's processes aren't going to let you down, so work out what you need him to be able to achieve and then go and see if he's able to do that.

In terms of SIPOC, “S” represents supplier . we need to asset and control your potential supplier from source :agree1:

Top Bottom