TL-9000 Certifying Body Issue - Auditor failed to find an issue for 10 years

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
In every pre-audit meeting I have ever attended, to absolve themselves of responsibility they always make a point of telling the company they are auditing that they are looking at a sample and are not going to be able to look at everything.
Even though ISO 19011 is no longer a normative reference in the conformity assessment protocols, it advises auditors to confim that aspect of system auditing. Section 6.4.10 a) states:
advising that the audit evidence collected was based on a sample of the information available and is not necessarily fully representative of the overall effectiveness of the auditee's processes;

In a standard ISO audit I would agree. But TL requirements and audits are very different. They are all about the metrics that are submitted and are very confusing to decipher. In TL's own documentation for CB's it states the following.....

9. CB auditors shall review the actual data submissions, verifying proper implementation of the counting rules for required measurements. This check is to review data consistency covering a minimum one-year period except when the organization and/or new product have been certified for less than one year in which case the data shall be reviewed for at least as long as the organization and/or new product has been certified.

The new auditor did this, the ones for the last 10 years obviously did not.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
In a standard ISO audit I would agree. But TL requirements and audits are very different. They are all about the metrics that are submitted and are very confusing to decipher. In TL's own documentation for CB's it states the following.....
* emphasis mine.

Data Submission is NOT the whole scope of a TL-9000 audit; it is a component. Yes, there are requirements for the CB Auditors for the TL-9000 protocol, but the responsibility for timely submission and data integrity rests with the registrants. https://tl9000.org/alerts/documents/DSR_Advisories.pdf

AndyN

A problem shared...
Staff member
Super Moderator
My experience of working with TL/QuEST folks is that the metrics cannot be simply dismissed as not falling in a sample. The CB is culpable from the get go and each visit should have critically reviewed the process for collection and analysis of the metrics portion. If those folks are unfamiliar with TL would care to check it out - there's a whole other handbook on metrics to go with the QMS requirements.

Top Bottom