Vendor (Supplier) Quality Plan vs. Our QMS?

Q

QAMTY

Hi everybody, please share your thoughts in this point

Now, i´m being involved in sending to suppliers the fabrication of mechanical parts.

The project manager told me to request a Vendor quality Plan to the workshop.

Now I have to mention that I have a Quality System in development 9001:2008

But don´t know exactly what are the differences between my QMS system and The Vendor Quality Plan.

I assume that in Vendor Quality Plan the supplier gets extracts from his Quality System mentioning only what applies to the current project

Am I right?

Or such plan is very different in concepts to ISO 9001:2008?

Better, What is a recommended way to ensure quality in a supplier? having the VQP and QMS system for both?

Thanks for your clarifications

PD

I´ll appreciate if someone shares a VQP for parts or equipment fabrication.

D

db

Re: Vendor Quality Plan versus QMS?

Unless we are talking apples and oranges, here is my take.

A Quality Management System (QMS) is generic covering all aspects of an organization in meeting customer requirements. This is a 300 feet view.

A Quality Plan (in this case a Vendor Quality Plan) is a document specific to that order or job on how exactly the order will be fulfilled. It would normally include process steps and sampling plans, to name a couple. This is a close up at 5 feet.

The Quality Plan would be an output of clause 7.1, where the QMS would cover all of the clauses.

AndyN

Moved On

A Vendor Quality plan is often a 'mini-QMS' - it states specifically what your company will do, using its ISO 9001 processes/procedures/instructions in particular, to control the various aspects of a customers products...the documents are referenced, specific responsibilities defined and so on.

Q

QAMTY

Thanks db

But don´t you think it should include as well 4.2.3, 4.2.4 (Records and documents control) also 5.5.3 (Comunications)?

Thanks

Q

QAMTY

Thanks AndyN

Do you think will exist a let´s say, a check-list document
which can be used as a guide to check what the Vendor Quality
should include or should be checked against the QMS?

Thanks

T

treesei

QAMTY,

A quality plan often contain a QA part, which is general and tells you what kind of quality systems the vendor has for making all products right. It also contains a QC part, which is specific to your product and tells you how the vendor will make your product right. The extent will depend on what kind of quality system the vendor has. For example, if they are not ISO certified, you probably cannot ask them to come up with a quality plan that refers to ISO sections. While you may be able to examine the QA part with a checklist (sort of), the QC part is product specific and therefore I don't think there will be a generic checklist.

AndyN

Moved On

Thanks AndyN

Do you think will exist a let´s say, a check-list document
which can be used as a guide to check what the Vendor Quality
should include or should be checked against the QMS?

Thanks

Not really. QA plans are very specific to a relationship between customers/suppliers. It's almost impossible, in my experience of such plans, to have anything close to that. You'd have to get the plan and make a checklist from it.

Big Jim

Admin

Now, i´m being involved in sending to suppliers the fabrication of mechanical parts.

But don´t know exactly what are the differences between my QMS system and The Vendor Quality Plan.

I assume that in Vendor Quality Plan the supplier gets extracts from his Quality System mentioning only what applies to the current project

Am I right?

Better, What is a recommended way to ensure quality in a supplier? having the VQP and QMS system for both?

PD

Start by defining the term. Ask your boss what he means by "Vendor Quality Plan". Until you know what he is after, you can spend a lot of time doing nothing useful.

Last edited:

harry

Trusted Information Resource
I agree with Andy - it's generally a mini 'QMS' without the ISO 9001 requirements like doc/rec control because it is a quality plan and not a QMS.

It can be quite comprehensive depending on scope and size of project - see our files attachment section for a sample of a Construction Quality Plan or very simple (for small projects or parts of a project - fabrication especially) and build around an inspection and test plan.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

Am I right?

PD

In my understanding and experience Vendor quality plan concerns with the documentation that vendor should provide to the customer to be eligible
to perform a work for you.
For instance, acceptable financial status, compliance to the law of the country, adequate personne, experience in the sector where to perfom the work, insurance, no legal issue in course, certification of quality, safety ect..,
Based upon a Request for Quotation for the specific work to do ( including materials, personnel, quality requirements, costs etc..), you can accept or not their service.
Hope this helps:bigwave:

Top Bottom