What makes a good manager vs. what makes a bad manager?

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I found a link to a web site that is doing a survey regarding what makes a good manager vs. what makes a bad manager (managers in general -- not specifically QM's). The link is:

*** DEAD LINK ***

There are 3 simple questions and you can get a copy of the survey results for free if you like. I'm not in any way associated with the outfit doing the survey. I just thought some cove members might like the opportunity to comment if for no other reason than to vent a little about some of the bad managers they have worked for -- or are still working for. :mad:

It might also be interesting to see the opinions posted here regarding what everyone thinks makes a good/bad manager. Not that any cove memebers are opinionated or anything! :smokin:

*Edit by E. Wall - Took out period in hyperlink after htm

J

JodiB

My boss is one of the good ones. He’s very supportive and is interested in developing the people who work for him. He gives praise where praise is due, and he provides direction and instruction when something doesn’t measure up. No yelling, no name-calling. Just another attempt at communicating what needs to be done. We work well enough together that I consider him a more learned coworker and don’t feel the weight of his “superiority”.

I had a super boss at a previous position also. She appreciated diversity and could find something to treasure in everyone’s personal flaws. She never had to threaten or use her “power” to get something done because we all wanted to please her and not let her down. She was like a “mom”, loving and kind.

So while one uses an intelligent approach, the other was a people-person. These two bosses are at opposite ends but achieve the same effect.

Of course I’ve had poor bosses also. Mostly they lacked backbone. Within a corporate structure there should be some level of authority which they can assume is their own and no further “permission” is needed. I appreciate the take-charge kind of boss who makes his/her own decisions and stands ready to accept any fallout that occurs. And a boss that will support and defend me (if necessary) tooth and nail.

Along with lack of backbone there closely follows lack of attention. It’s important for a boss to spend time with you. My last boss practically ignored me. Perhaps he thought it showed he was confident that I could/would work on my own without direction, but to me it was terribly frustrating to be given no direction at all! There was no teamwork. Had he been stronger, and more attentive, I would be there still. I reckon he actually did me a huge favor, right? ;)

K

Ken K

Along with lack of backbone there closely follows lack of attention. It’s important for a boss to spend time with you. My last boss practically ignored me. Perhaps he thought it showed he was confident that I could/would work on my own without direction, but to me it was terribly frustrating to be given no direction at all! There was no teamwork. Had he been stronger, and more attentive, I would be there still. I reckon he actually did me a huge favor, right?

We are an off-location sight. We're about 6 miles from our main facility. We've been here for 4 years and I can count on one hand how often my boss has been here. I do get an email every two weeks letting me know I need to send my timecard in. I probably couln't pick him out of a police line-up.

I did see him about three months ago. We discussed the situation with GM concerning our 17025 accreditation. It was at that time he delegated the writing of the QM to me. Section's 4.1 to 4.14 concerns requirements for Management. No help. No how ya doing? Nothing. Gonna be a shock to his system when he discovers what he will need to be doing from now on to obtain and retain accreditation.

I envy anyone who can say they have a good boss. I had one when I was on production many years ago, but he was the only one during my 25 year visit here.

Thanks. I needed that!:rolleyes: :D

A

Al Dyer

A good boss discusses what is needed and what resources you require.

A bad boss tells you to cut XXX by 10% without any reason.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A good boss sets up a meeting.

A bad boss calls you to the office with no explanation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A good boss backs you up even though made the decision without their input.

A bad boss blames you for the fuc#-up
--------------------------------------------------------------------

A good boss trusts you because they are trusting in themselves in hiring people that will carry out their programs.

A bad boss passes the buck and hedges.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

A good boss will come out to the activity area and ask if you need any assistance.

A bad boss will stay in the office and say to their boss, What the **** are they doing, that's not what I said!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

A good boss will get down and dirty with you when the occasion arises.

A bad boss will sit in the office and call maintenance and blame the whole situation on them.
------------------------------------------------------------------

A good owner or president knows when the boss is full of **** and is blaming averything or anybody else.

A good worker bides the time and waits for the boss to be found out as an REDACTED or a consumate liar.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just some personal thoughts, not sorry for the swear word! Only 26 years of working with people.

In case there are any questions, I acted as a "boss" for a few months and decided it was not for me. I don't have the patience nor personality. I guess I am not just a people person and expect too much from others to be an effective manager or boss.

Thanks, Al...

:)

R

Randy Stewart

I enjoy managing and "I" think I do a fair job of it. I enjoy the responsibility and challenges it brings. It's not near as exciting as what I did in the USN, however, I'm not worried about going home in a body bag - that is until I hit the expressway!!!!!

It's not for everyone. It doesn't mean you're not good at what you do or that you are incompetent. Some people are followers, some are leaders, and some are managers. Notice there is a difference between a Leader and a Manager.

J

jaimezepeda

Getting boss to answer emails

Is there some way to "coach" a bad boss into being a great boss?

One of the areas I have struggled with for years is getting managers to answer an email in a timely fashion.

Any tips, tricks or techniques?

Jaime

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
jaimezepeda said:

One of the areas I have struggled with for years is getting managers to answer an email in a timely fashion.

Jaime
Jaime, maybe this is the way to go Upward Influence Resources

K

Kevin H

Hi Jaime, no good answers here as I'd classify the last 4 managers (including my current one) as among the worst I've had in the 30 years of employment since college. This is at 2 different companies - the 5th one who hired me originally at my prior company was good - very fair, occasionally stubborn (but would explain his reasoning & we could argue - sometimes I even won!) and pointed me in a direction compatible with the company's philosophy.

If a manager doesn't respond, you always have the option of going over his head to the next higher up. Whether to do so depends a lot on the corporate culture, and whether you believe you'd get an answer from that manager. I tried going up the ladder with #4, but got the same lack of response from him as I did my manager so I ended up just being more frustrated - part of the reason I changed employers. (One of the reasons I have a toe in the market currently.)

Not answering emails can be because of receiving too many to handle efficiently, or a personal (or cultural) bias towards face to face meetings rather than email. What gets really frustraing currently, is when I follow up an email with tracking someone down by phone or in person and still not getting an answer in a timely manner.

Good luck - looks like an interesting revived thread. Al - thanks for the post/link that looks pretty interesting also.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
jaimezepeda said:

Jaime

I won't say he was previously "bad", but I did loan my boss's boss's boss the Tom Peters book "Reimagine" and I must say it was the best thing I did last year.

By the way, I have seen supposed "lessons learned" for managers stating don't respond to email in a timely manner. That'll give people the message to not send so many emails and cut back on your email inbox. Supposedly some think that is a good thing.

https://sbms.pnl.gov/lessons/g301d160.htm

Last edited:
J

jaimezepeda

Kevin H said:
Not answering emails can be because of receiving too many to handle efficiently, or a personal (or cultural) bias towards face to face meetings rather than email. What gets really frustraing currently, is when I follow up an email with tracking someone down by phone or in person and still not getting an answer in a timely manner.

Good luck - looks like an interesting revived thread. Al - thanks for the post/link that looks pretty interesting also.

Thanks to Al, Kevin and Steve for the responses and links.

Because I recognize that the managers I work with are very busy, I only send an email unless it is necessary or require their input to proceed further with a project. Nevertheless, the emails remain unanswered. When I have scheduled a face to face meeting it usually gets postponed (which is why I only send emails or schedule meetings when totally necessary). I would walk to the managers' offices to ask my question directly but visiting a manager's office is not always possible due to distance limitations.

I'll review the content in the links posted.

Thanks again.
Jaime

Top Bottom