What makes a good manager vs. what makes a bad manager?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
All good and helpful responses!

Let me add (a copy) of a comment I made in another thread:

Wes Bucey offers service as "Strategy Advisor" - Seeking Case Studies for Book
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=9117
The specific post is
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=98336&postcount=40

I'm sorry to say (being one of the biggest sinners) we Quality folk have a tendency to tell others how to build a watch when they only need and want to know the time of day within a margin of 10 or 15 minutes.

If you don't get responses to your emails, often it is because the "call to action" gets lost in the clutter of your message.

Currently, the Cove Moderators and Administrators are making a concerted effort to locate and respond to "orphan" posts which never received a reply. As I personally review some of those posts, I am struck by the ones which don't seem to even invite a reply because of the phrasing. (Obviously, there are some "orphans" which are so esoteric none of the Cove readers have any insight in resolving the problem posed.)

My advice - if you are sending emails to a boss and don't get a reply, you need to find a trusted friend to review your email to determine if rephrasing and other editing might help get the response you crave.

Last edited:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
You might be right Wes, in some cases maybe the message gets lost. But I'd bet this is only rarely the reason for lack of reply. The fact is, based on what I have seen in my 25+ years working for various bosses/managers/supervisors is that many (maybe half or more) who hold that title simply do not deserve it based on my personal criteria. Some of these sub-par folks could make the grade with some coaching or training, but some are just so far out that they really are probably beyond hope. I never thought it was rocket science, but IMO truly good bosses are about as rare a find as a person who can throw a 90 mph fastball.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I'll agree there are a lot of clueless bosses, but surely you have to agree with me there are at least as many clueless subordinates.

The real disaster is when you have both in the same organization - the image I get in my mind is one of Rube Goldberg's complicated inventions for performing a simple task.

J

jaimezepeda

The article describes methods to get the point across.

Steve Prevette said:
By the way, I have seen supposed "lessons learned" for managers stating don't respond to email in a timely manner. That'll give people the message to not send so many emails and cut back on your email inbox. Supposedly some think that is a good thing.

http://sbms.pnl.gov/lessons/g301d160.htm

I read the content of the link above and the second part of the article.

The article provides methods on how to get to the point briefly and directly. I had not being doing so.

Jaime

J

jaimezepeda

Good advice for making the point clear.

Wes Bucey said:
My advice - if you are sending emails to a boss and don't get a reply, you need to find a trusted friend to review your email to determine if rephrasing and other editing might help get the response you crave.

I will begin to do this. Not only will it help me but it will inform other managers of the issues in question.

Jaime

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Wes Bucey said:
I'll agree there are a lot of clueless bosses, but surely you have to agree with me there are at least as many clueless subordinates.

Sure! There are lots of clueless subordinates! But to promote them to management is almost criminal and certainly stupid. :bonk:

I always figured I could handle 80% of all people management issues simply by asking myself how I'd like to be treated in the same situation. The other 20% probably deals with laws, interpreting cryptically-written benefits booklets, etc. and requires some specialized training. JMO.

I actually liked managing people because I enjoyed seeing people learn and grow and advance and be happy about it. Yeah, there were some bad times, and some jerks you had to deal with, but the rewards exceeded the pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

engjane

jaimezepeda said:
When I have scheduled a face to face meeting it usually gets postponed (which is why I only send emails or schedule meetings when totally necessary). I

I feel your frustration. I have a boss who is a sweet man but hopeless at managing. He likes to take it all on by himself and never blinks in the direction of his underlings. Its nice to be trusted to do a good job BUT most things I do need his input. I sit around twiddling my thumbs waiting for the time when he sits still for more than 10 seconds.
It doesn’t happen very often.
I’ve tried explaining what I want from my boss but he doesn’t appear to get it.

Emails don’t work, meetings are looked on suspiciously – like there’s something REALLY wrong.
What can you do?

I have had some awful managers but at least everyone else knew they were awful and supported me in a roundabout fashion. In this company, Im not getting that support (yet – I think its going to happen but its hard waiting)
The positive (cos I like to look on the bright side) is that at least we are learning all the bad habits to avoid should we decide to try the role for size!

Top Bottom