When will Revision 5 of the AIAG FMEA Manual be released?

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
Maybe a silly question, but I'm wondering how this will work for a bulk material supplier? We supply a raw material to stampers as as T2, sometimes T3 supplier. Maybe I'm overthinking the first 3 steps in this process, but we are not supplying a part by any strectch of the imagination. We just need to supply material to the requested spec. What do the great minds gathered here think?

AndyN

Moved On
I read a post on Linkedin by Paul Hardiman (a well known and credible expert in the SMMT) and he cautioned that the revised version may well be "optional"... Sign Up

Mikey324

he cautioned that the revised version may well be "optional"
I was also curious about that. i wonder how they will approach it, both rev 4 and 5 active at the same time, or, would using rev 4 be considered an obsolete external document?

Jimmy123

Involved In Discussions
I read a post on Linkedin by Paul Hardiman (a well known and credible expert in the SMMT) and he cautioned that the revised version may well be "optional"... Sign Up

What does this mean, optional? I understand a booklet as guideline for all manufacturer and supplier, a standard. If there is no standard and each customer ask for different additional thinks, what is the value add? Terrible!

Mikey324

What does this mean, optional? I understand a booklet as guideline for all manufacturer and supplier, a standard. If there is no standard and each customer ask for different additional thinks, what is the value add? Terrible!
I understand the desire to improve the FMEA process. I just hate to reinvent the wheel here if its not necessary. In my opinion, from what little I have read about the harmonized FMEA, it just doesn't look as effective as the current AIAG format. It looks like it would be easy to focus on what the new form is supposed to look like and lose focus on what you are trying to accomplish in the first place.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Slightly :topic:, but to show how out-of-touch some groups (cough A*S*Q) can get with the needs of their target audience, the latest issue of Quality Engineering magazine included an article on FMEA that used matrix math and cluster analysis to establish the ratings. Talk about making an FMEA even more difficult, nay impossible, for 99.999999999999% of the intended audience (i.e., quality engineers).

try2makeit

Question 1: Will approved PPAP's have to be changed to the new FMEA matrix when annuals are performed?

Question 2: Once the new FMEA/VGA edition is available and you are in process of performing a part PPAP, are you required to right away submit the new matrix or is there a grace period to get your ducks in a row?

AndyN

Moved On
Question 1: Will approved PPAP's have to be changed to the new FMEA matrix when annuals are performed?

Question 2: Once the new FMEA/VGA edition is available and you are in process of performing a part PPAP, are you required to right away submit the new matrix or is there a grace period to get your ducks in a row?
Q1 - not that I understand it
Q2 - there should be a grace period and, unless you have a customer who wants you to use the "VDA" style, FMEA, you can continue with the original style (as I understand from Paul Hardiman)

Top Bottom